Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 11:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

S.E. arts

What martial arts came out of south east asia? The only martial art I can think of is Muay Thai, are there any others? I like to know from cambodia ,vietnam , laos, thailand, and other countries there.

I'm asking because I never heard of any others besides Muay Thai, are they just not as popular over there or here?

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 11:36am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.thaing.net/

I'm sure you can manage from there....
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 11:38am

Style: BJJ, CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There was one in Burma that is similar to Muay Thai, but I forget the name.

The weapons form of Muay Thai is called Krabi-Krabong. It's a two-sword form, or a sword and stick form, it literally means "sword and baton." It's very much like Muay Thai with weapons. It's hard to find Krabi-Krabong instruction even in Thailand, there are really only like three schools left. Some Ajarn Chai affiliates will train in it a little. It's like Muay Thai with weapons. Not real practical for the modern world, but it's fun as hell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 11:40am

Style: Goshin Ho JuJitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One other Martial Art that is practiced close to those areas ( Malaysia....and others) would be Silat.

X

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 11:41am

supporting member
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are Vietnamese MAs too, but I don't remember the names.

Professor of Chaos

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 11:42am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Burmese martial art is called Bando. The first exponent in the U.S. was Maung Zhi (sp?). My father studied it when he was was at school Washington D.C. I believe that there has been some recent controversy regarding some of Maung's claims, yet from many reports, the man COULD fight pretty damn good back in the day.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 11:44am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't the Philippines in Southeast Asia?
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 12:20pm

Style: Muay Thai/Muay Boran

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: S.E. arts

Originally posted by gooking
    What martial arts came out of south east asia? The only martial art I can think of is Muay Thai, are there any others? I like to know from cambodia ,vietnam , laos, thailand, and other countries there.

I'm asking because I never heard of any others besides Muay Thai, are they just not as popular over there or here?
    Hi gooking, I have a great passion for travelling and S.E.Asia. Beautiful people come from that part fo the world.

Indonesia has over 400 styles or so of Silat, Malaysia also have some kinds of Silat but I have no experience with these so cant comment.

Cambodia, Laos, Mynmar (Burma), Thailand and North Vietnam all have very similar fighting styles. Mynmar and Thailand are the only two styles that i have any real experience with. Mynmar has a form of ground wrestling called Naban and a form of standup fighting that includes standup grappling and throws, locks, breaks etc this is called Lethwei. Mynmar fighting systems are very siomple to learn and also very effective.

Thailand has 5 main arts under the title Pahuyuth. of these arts arose the sport fighting Muay Thai. Muay Thai is the most common form of fighting that comes from Thailand but Muay Thai is only a sport not the actual combative fightingstyle from which it came from and that is called Krabi-Krabong. Krabi-Krabong deals with weapons, knives, sticks, swords etc, it also has over 110 empty hand techniques, various Judo like throws and takedowns along with standup grappling and ground fighting techniques... it is a very simple art to learn, the soldiers who used KK simply used the empty hand techniques of Krabi-Krabong for competitive bouts so as to keep sharp, these empty hand techniques are called Muay Boran, they are more geared towards combat than ring fighting so it wasnt unlikely for serious injury and death to occur during these bouts, the rules changed in 1930 or so and then Muay Thai was born.

Pahuyuth :

Muay Boran
    Awud Thai
    Fandab
    Ling-Lom
    Krabi-Krabong

You also have from Thailand an art called lerd-rit which is highly effective and used by the military and police.

Krabi-Krabong IS effective in todays world but the war Elephant fighting techniques taught in Krabi-Krabong may not have a place in modern day. If you practice or have experienced Krabi-krabong you will notice how simple it is, it is quite brutal as most takedowns are started by either breaking the knee joint or cutting the throat, we practice it with wooden knives. The techniques again are very very simple, so simple it'd be hard to deliver them incorrectly once learned.

Muay Boran is what Muay Thai is but with more.

Muay Thai the ring sport is only a fraction of the actual martial art of Thailand.
    Last edited by S.Anucha; 12/08/2003 12:27pm at .

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 12:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took Khymer kick boxing from a friend. Its similar to MT but with a different emphasis. The same with burmese boxing etc. Theres also Vietnamese forms of fighting that were influence by kung fu arts etc.
    Ghost of Charles Dickens

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 12:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Be Happy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "lerd-rit" - What is that like?
    Ghost of Charles Dickens
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast