Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/06/2008 10:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot Emevas!

I have ordered my first set of books (mostly bodyweight and conditioning oriented because I am going away to work for a couple weeks and won't have access to a weight set until I get back).

I bought Ross Enamait's Never Gymless and Infinite Intensity, Mark Rippetoe's Practical Programming for Starting Strength and Starting Strength, and Paul Zaichik's Elastic Steel and The Power of One.

For my next round I am looking at getting some of Pavel Tsatsouline's work, most likely Beyond Bodybuilding, The Naked Warrior and I am considering Power to the People as well as Bullet Proof Abs (I usually am weary of things advertising 6 packs, great abs and the sort but with the recognition his other books have received I figure it is probably worth checking out).

There also appears to be a great deal of literature available through Ironmind.com, I saw a number of authors you mentioned there like Pavel Tsatsouline and Paul Kelso. Some of the others were Brian Jones, John Brookfield, Randal J. Strossen, Steve Justa and many others, hopefully with my initial sweep I will accumulate enough knowledge to decide for myself whether these books are necessary to further my knowledge but until then, would you recommend any of these authors?

Thanks again Emevas!
    Last edited by JPearson; 8/06/2008 10:46pm at . Reason: Noscript sabotaged my paragraphs :(

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 3:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't buy bullet proof abs. It's pretty much a book version of an infomercial advertising Pavel's "Ab Pavelizer".

Just look up what a janda sit-up is, and you'll be good.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Everybody was Kung Fu fighting

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 6:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As an aside, I have a few of Pavel's books. I would summarize them thus:-

Kettlebells for anaerobics and 'strength endurance' (whatever that is):-

Do high-reps with a moderate weight using your whole body in awkward ways at high speed (mainly swings and turkish getups) for anaerobic intervals of about a minute with a minute of active recovery stuff like skipping, jogging or bodyweight squats 2-3 times per week.

I have read a summary of Power to the People. I would summarize it thus :-

Do deadlifts and bent presses in 1 or 2 brief sets with a heavy weight, frequently (3 or more times per week), because most people don't realise how much maximal strength is about the nervous system and fibre recruitment rather than hypertrophy.

I also own his 'naked warrior' bodyweight exercise book. I would summarize it thus:-

Do one-arm-one-leg pushups and single leg squats (with a weight when you get advanced). Start by 'greasing the groove' to train your nervous system. This means knocking out tiny single sets multiple times per day until it feels easy to do a few times. Add resistance to the pushups by raising your feet, add resistance to the squats by holding weights in each hand.

Can somebody summarize Beyond Bodybuilding for me pls?
    Last edited by Cullion; 8/08/2008 6:56pm at .
    !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 6:51pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The pavel books I've read boil down to this :-

Stop eating crap and do lots of HIIT with a kettle bell to burn off the bodyfat. Train your CNS through full-range compound exercises to get strong by doing 1-2 short heavy sets of this or that many times per week. That seems to be it. He pads it out with marketing stuff about how tough russian soldiers are.

I <3 Sirc.

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 7:04pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Janda situps don't do it for me. The best ab exercises are ones involving twisting against resistance (like woodchops) or the paired 'dragon flag' variant I've been shown as a BJJ noob.

I <3 Sirc.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 9:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    Can somebody summarize Beyond Bodybuilding for me pls?
    If I had to summarize it, it'd boil down to sticking with heavy compound exercises and going light on the isolation work. It's not really a book in so much as a collection of articles written by Pavel in the style of convincing current bodybuilders to train for strength rather than size, and trying to bridge the gap in training methods that are geared to make a bodybuilder "as strong as he looks". There are a ton of different training routines in there, at least one of which will catch your interest (the 3-5 principle was a godsend for me), and an explanation of the science behind everything in easy to read styles with good analogies and historical references. He even has a bodyweight section that's kinda a "best of" the naked warrior.

I'm not a fan of twisting exercises for the abdomen just because of the possibility of putting shearing force on the spine (but that's just the paranoia kicking in). I'm a big fan of standing ab work, like ab pull downs, side bends, and saxon side bends. The ab wheel is awesome as well.
    "Emevas,

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 11:50am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about books that give a basic understanding of anatomy and muscle building?

I was flipping through Frederic Delavier's "Strength Training Anatomy" but wanted to check here first if there was something similar with a bit more information about physiology and such.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 12:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How deep into it do you want to go? Practical Programming gives it a glance over, as does Beyond Bodybuilding, but if you want to go really indepth, you'd be best served looking through some textbooks.
    "Emevas,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 2:05pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scott Sonnons' Body Flow, Flow fit programs are good, especially when combined with his clubbells . Its an investment though. There seems to be a wide assortment of packaged methods, after a while you'll see recurring themes that are the fundamental s of strength and conditioning(these don't have to be separate functions either)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12