233339 Bullies, 3494 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 4:43am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strength and Conditioning

Can someone recommend a good book on strength and/or conditioning for MA please?

There are loads on Amazon but reading the reader reviews makes me feel like my IQ has dropped.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 6:39am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pretty standard responce but... PP and SS by Rippetoe were pretty awesome for my strength training. I hear Ross Enamait's stuff is good for conditioning.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 7:31am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 9:18am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw that Training for Warriors, have you checked it out yourself or heard good stuff about it?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Welterweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 9:20am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I own it and think it's a great book - Adam Singer of the SBG gave it a great review so figured I would check it out.

They carry it at Barnes & Noble so if you have one in your area just go in and check it out.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 2:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're talking about strictly for MA, I'd look up Ross' stuff. The man is probably the most overhypped guru out there, but that's because his stuff works.

If it's just for strength training in general, I have a much longer list.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 2:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for replying guys.

Emevas, i was talking just for MA really. It seems that Ross' never gymless book is only available on his site. Is it worth $25 and an extra 10 for postage to the UK?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 2:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check your PMs.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:34pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Emevas, if you don't mind I'd like to pick your brain for some strength training literature. I already plan to pick up Rippetoe's Starting Strength as I've been given the impression it is nothing short of the best read for beginners, but seeing as I do read quite a bit and am probably going to be heading off to work for a few weeks where I will have even more time to read I wouldn't mind grabbing some more reading material for the duration.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're into E-books, Pavel Tsatsouline's "Beyond Bodybuilding" really changed my whole worldview on lifting.

Anything by Stuart McRobert is an enlightning read, but the man is SOOOO reptitive that most of his work could be condensed into a pamplet (just know that he is greatly opposed to steroid use and high volume training designed for people with chemical assistance and superior genetics. He gears his training towards "Hard Gainers", but it can be useful for anything). McRobert's stuff is more about bodybuilding than strength training though. Same with Super Squats, but that in itself is a stellar read.

Practical Programming for Strength Training (by Rippetoe again) is a decent read. It gets a little scientific, but explains some pretty good principles in easy to understand terms. Truthfully, I haven't made it all the way though, but tend to just flip to a spot and read whenever I open it.

Kelso's Shrug Book is a great read on a very specific and helpful exercise (the Shrug). You'll learn all sorts of cool variations and ways to bring up your lifts that you never took the time to think about. It's a cheap buy too.

Powerlifting Basics: Texas Style was a fun read, but I didn't find it too heavy in the technical department. Kelso tells some great stories in the book, but when it comes time to explain the method behind his madness, it's kind of lacking.

I have a whole lot more books on my shelf that I need to read though, but that's what I can think of off the top of my head for now. I've heard that Mel Siff's "Super Training" is the bible of strength training, but that it also reads like a University text book, so if you don't have the background for it, you may find it not as useful.
    "Emevas,
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast