Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 1:27pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In light of what's already been posted, I hope the OP really will read ALL the stickies he can in his free time and make them work for him. I hope he's seen the light, and can tell what he wants to do in order to get in the shape he really thinks he can.
    Last edited by nomamao; 8/21/2008 1:36pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 8:34am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Wing-Chun/ Maui Tai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well frankly I already am in shape. Im on the average weight/height ratio for myself. 6'4"/230 is the average. But Im always looking for improvement.

I stop taking all vitamins for the time being until I can read those stickies.

Well I just read the 7 habits part, and all it said pretty much was to eat 5-8 meals aday, and not worry about the caliories. It said to keep your carb intake to pretty much fruits and vegtables.

Frankly Im not to sold on that idea. Im looking for something a little more "cheap" Eating that many times a day is money. I bring 20 bucks to work and usally am able to get 2 meals and a sports drink out of there. I dont understand how people can eat 5-8 meals a day. Who has time for that? I was barely able to choke down 2 yesterday, during the whole day.

Im not blowing off your ideas here, they are just a little hard to swallow. Like how big are these meals? 1/2 lbs incremants?
    Last edited by acidcrakker; 8/30/2008 8:49am at .

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 10:21am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It isn't 5-8 dinner sized meals a day.

The portion sizes would be smaller than you are used to. For example, those two meals you buy a day can easily be cut into 4 meals.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nobody has time to eat 5-6 meals a day, but everyone has enough time to say that they don't have time to eat that many meals a day.

I'm always amazed by this.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Text in red inserted by me.

Quote Originally Posted by acidcrakker
    Well frankly I already am in shape. Im on the average weight/height ratio for myself. 6'4"/230 is the average. But Im always looking for improvement.

I stop taking all vitamins for the time being until I can read those stickies.

Well I just read the 7 habits part, and all it said pretty much was to eat 5-8 meals aday, and not worry about the caliories. It said to keep your carb intake to pretty much fruits and vegtables. (me: Uhmmm, it says more than that.)

Frankly Im not to sold on that idea. Im looking for something a little more "cheap" Eating that many times a day is money. (me: Not true) I bring 20 bucks to work and usally am able to get 2 meals and a sports drink out of there (me: Your spending habits are not optimal). I dont understand how people can eat 5-8 meals a day. Who has time for that? (me: I already told you the answer to this. It's called planning.) I was barely able to choke down 2 yesterday, during the whole day.

Im not blowing off your ideas here, they are just a little hard to swallow. Like how big are these meals? 1/2 lbs incremants?(me: This is explained in the 7 habits part.)
    Read. Seriously ;)

Now, about time. Well, if you make your lunchs 1 hour long, then yeah, you won't get the time to eat 5 meals a day. Every one of my meals take less than 10 minutes, from start to finish. I don't wallow on a meal unless I actually go out to dine with my g/f, a family member or a friend. In those cases, my purpose is to spend time with them, not with the food. I don't spend time with food.

Regarding expense: I can get three meals in under $11. Observe:

1. One Quiznos Black Angus Steak Sub (my favorite), size large: 8.09
    2. One whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and a 8oz cup of yogurt (less than $2.00).

Cut the quiznos sub in half, that's two meals. The whole wheat bagel with peanut butter and one yogurt is another meal. That's three meals for less than $11.00. And this the right portion for a man your size and weight. I myself do this but with a medium size quiznos sub (since I'm just 5'6", 165lbs.)

You can do the same thing with a McDonals BigMac value meal - ask the BigMac to be cut in half - that's two meals), nix the soda and ask the fries to be done without salt. The fries become your third meal. This is even less than $10.

I can take any of these meals in less than 10 minutes. Now, if I want to wallow on them, enjoy the experience of eating them and **** like that, then

1) I have a lot of time in my hands, so the argument of not having time is really ridiculous.
    2) My priorities are not in eating well (since my priorities allow me to spend so much time in getting two meals.)

You other two meals are your breakfast and your dinner. What's the complication in this? It's not quadratic equations we are talking about. Also, your third meal can be almost anything, a mini-bowl of oatmeal and yogurt, or a lean turkey sandwich prepared overnight, some fruit, a zone bar, etc.

In situations when we can't sit down and grab something (we are always on the go, or on meetings, or with customers), then a person needs to settle with snacks (granola bars, zone bars, bagels), and take a bite whenever possible so that the goal of eating every 2-3 hours is always met. People do this effectively, and in fact, it's one of the best eating strategies for busy people/people on the go.

Again, it all goes with reading the material we gave you.

I don't want to blow my own horn, but from experience: I've worked flipping burguers, driving forklifts on the graveyard shift, all of that while going to college full time, and later glued to a chair on front of a PC doing software sometimes up to, literally, more than 24 hours in one single shot. But I still got to eat my meals, even if it means gnagging on a powerbar while driving a forklift or taking a bite of a cold, healthy wrapper I prepared overnight (or a hamburguer after scrapping off the mayo) while banging on the keyboard.

Again, it's all about how bad we want this to occur.

You want to do it, you want to make this a priority, you'll find a way to do it.

You don't want to do it, then you won't and you will find reasonings behind not doing so.

It's just like work, just like business, just like anything we do in life.

We are not going to pretent to tell you how to run things. You asked for advice, we gave you what we use. It doesn't suit you, then sorry bro, that's all we can do. We can do no more.

You can't find a way to follow the 7 steps, hey, maybe you can get four meals instead of five, or learn to eat healthier. To find a transition into better, healthier eating patterns, that's your task. How you get from where you are to what's prescribed in the 7 steps, that's your task.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 8/30/2008 3:01pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 3:30pm

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your buying food out your doing it wrong. I get all my meals out at work for a lot less a day. I do this by preparing stuff beforehand and taking it with me. Its very easy.
    My daily food intake is:
    breakfast: 3 eggs 3 slices of bacon 1 glass of OJ. Cost 1 ish
    Morning snack: 100g of mixed fruit and nuts, banana. Cost 50p ish. Protein shake 1
    Lunch 1: 150g of tuna, salad 1.20p
    or Lunch 2: chicken breast and brocolli 1 ish
    Afternoon snack: 200g of natural yoghurt, nectarine 70p. Protein shake 1
    Dinner (various ones) example: 50g of wholewheat pasta, 250g of beef mince in a homemade sauce. Approx 2
    Evening snack: 150g cottage cheese 50p
    Total cost for all food = approx 9 ($15?) for everything. Shakes, evening meals, breakfasts. The works.

I make all the things I take to work the night before, put them in my bag in the morning, and eat them throughout the day at my desk. Very easy. Tupperware is your friend!

If your taking cash to work and buying food out your throwing money away.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/30/2008 7:20pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I wasnt saying I couldnt do it. Just reading the articals and posting my thoughts.

When someone says meal, I usally tend to think its a whole meal not a cup of oatmeal.

And my meals are actually 3 aday. 2 outside of home and 1 home cooked. But they are pretty big, and I could easily cut them in half if I wanted.

As a little follow up. Since I stopped taking all my vitamins Im actually a tad more tired by the end of the night.

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 7:05am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You've got to think in calories, carbs, protein, fat, not size. Each meal I have is probably about 40 - 50g of protein, approx 400 - 600 cals. etc..

You've got to look at intake and time of intake. You should be taking in protein throughout the day, all your carbs before the afternoon (I dont do this. I'm bad.) a pcf ratio of approx 40:30:30. Get those things right, and you'll be mostly there.

There's further stuff you can do, like looking at the types of protein your eating, for example you want slow digestion proteins like casein (good sources cottage cheese) just before you go to bed.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 10:13am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok, I think I'm getting where you are coming from acidcraker.

But you are having the right idea. Cutting the big meals in half is a way to start (assuming you get the chance and time to warm up the food and eat.) Consider things you can prepare at home, power snacks such as whole wheat bagels and peanut butter (with splenda.) That **** packs a wallop, good source of fiber, carbs, fat and protein that can be eaten discretedly and quickly.

As honesty also said, think calories, carbs, protein, fat, not size.

Only one question, though, do you always eat breakfast? If so, what type of breakfast do you take?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/31/2008 12:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well I was eating breakfast but I changed the time I do now. Usally around 1pm is the first time I get to stop and eat. I just recently changed this so I could eat later at niight.

But before that I would eat either 1 large pancake or 2 eggs 2 sausages and 2 piece of toast. I would do this everyday until I got sick of it and switch to the other.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast