Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 1:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, the name isn't the issue for me. Its just been demonstrated elsewhere that if you can't gain the proper depth/experience in a system then it is easier to repackage it. Authenticity is the main issue for me: how did this person gain enough experience and knowledge to take an established art and re-name/re-author/etc?

Not saying this is Guru Ken's issue at all, I'm just leery of the act in general.

Also noteworthy, if you've trained with the deThouars bros. and kept your sanity then you've pretty much got a catre blance!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 2:02pm

Style: Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met Mike Casto. Good guy. Strong. Has some real skills.

Posted On:
    9/14/2008 5:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this. I'm going to give this a try and see if I like it. I guess my biggest concern is that I do not know what too look for in regard to quality training.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/15/2008 5:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Tracy Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The name might be goofy, but I would rather see someone give a name to something where lines and theories intersect or run intuitive to one another, which seems to be the case in pacific rim arts (Kali and Silat for example) than to charge an additional fee for a second art as some schools in chicago do. If it feels legit that go for it bro. Good luck !!!!!
    For what its worth that is Ken Pannell in the video on the site and it looks like straight up silat, although if there are guys who understood kali and silat enough to combine the ideologies, he would one of them.
    Last edited by RamsHead; 9/15/2008 5:37pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 9:37pm

Style: JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a seminar with Casto. Nice guy, good teacher. I hope to do more with his group.

I'm a Kali/Silat noob so I cannot comment on the authenticity or depth of the material, just that it worked for me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2008 11:11pm

Style: Sticks & Jits & Fritz

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [quote=RamsHead]The name might be goofy....quote]

I like it as a name for a FMA, it works as it's the Filipino way to take parts of one word and combine it with another. Eg: Yaw Yan, Lameco etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 2:17pm

Style: Kaju, FMA, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained SIKAL with Guru Pannell and his group in Dayton, Ohio for about a yr. Coming off some combat deployments I can tell you without a doubt his skill and style are for real. If you have any doubts simply drop by and test him out a little. His speed in transitioning the ranges is almost scary. His people are all top notch as well. The class is so hardcore and fast paced most people don't stay for long. However the class is VERY military minded as this is most of who he teaches. If you can't fall into the mode of "do it now because I said so" it is better that you not try and go there. Guru Mike in Louisville, though we have our differences of opinion about Dr. Gyi, is still a first rate martial artists. Again if you doubt the skill stop in at the school.

shenbitt
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12