Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 8:29pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sikal?

Hello everyone, I'm new here but have been interested in FMA for sometime. I really do not know what to look for and I was wondering if anyone had info on Sikal, which seems to be a blend of Kali and Silat. I really want to start taking a class that offers Kali and this school seems to be the only one in the area that offers it.

Thanks in advance

Here is the website so you can take a look and see what I'm talking about:

http://www.louisvillemartialarts.net...ilat-SIKAL.php

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 11:21pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nothing in the videos looked particularly egrigeous, and the guy looks like he's got a wide background. He just doesn't know how to take a picture without looking like a douche.

And even if he turns out to suck, their other martial arts/combat sports programs look good.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 11:49am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mike casto is a good guy. if you're looking for kali, you should enjoy training with him.

tim

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:13am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Random Amusement: Sikal(TM). Love it when they have to include the Registered Trademark on every instance of the word. Yes, it is TEH Sikal(tm)! The 'influences' list looks pretty solid.

As styles, both 'Kali' and 'Silat' are vague. Kinda like saying 'Kung Fu'. The only thing I'd wonder about is how solid 'Primary Influences' stands. IOW, did the guy go to one seminar on Cacoy's Eskrido while primarily studying Balintawak, or was he mainly a Mande Muda guy who happened to meet Inosanto at some point, or...?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 3:57pm

Style: Kali, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in Sikal under Guru Ken ( the head of the system) for about 2 1/2 years.

If there have been no changes as I've been away for about 3 years, what I remember is the kali portion especially in the beginning is very much Balintawak influenced and the Silat is infuenced by Sera.

The first video on the website is Guru Ken, the rest are Guru Casto.

I've met and trained with Guru Casto and he is a good man.

If you have a chance, check it out.

Ken
    Last edited by k_raben; 8/09/2008 9:19am at .

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 8:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why "Sikal" [tm]? Why reinvent the wheel?

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 12:36am

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it's heavily Balintawak influenced as K Raben states, then it might be a good thing. Taboada's got some good stuff. Very compact, yet explosive. Great use of non-stick hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 9:15am

Style: Kali, Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just a way to combine Kali and Silat. My understanding is that it was originally Guru Inosanto's, but Guru Ken acquired it from him. A lot of the self defense forms are a kali entrance with a silat finish. I know that there is a fine line between what it Kali and what is Silat so it is difficult to say what is what.

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 9:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by k_raben
    It's just a way to combine Kali and Silat. My understanding is that it was originally Guru Inosanto's, but Guru Ken acquired it from him. A lot of the self defense forms are a kali entrance with a silat finish. I know that there is a fine line between what it Kali and what is Silat so it is difficult to say what is what.
    I guess that is the same issue I have and I'm coming from FAR less depth in the FMA material.

From my own background, there's been so many re-hashings and re-presentations of SAMBO (a style that was originally cobbed together from other styles) that anytime some say they have a new form of it, I get suspicious.

I'd like to see more...
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 12:46pm

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    I guess that is the same issue I have and I'm coming from FAR less depth in the FMA material.

From my own background, there's been so many re-hashings and re-presentations of SAMBO (a style that was originally cobbed together from other styles) that anytime some say they have a new form of it, I get suspicious.

I'd like to see more...
    sikal is ken pannell's personal interpretation of what he's learned. it's very common in fma. everyone has their own style, even practitioners within the same system. some give a new name to their style, some don't. naming styles is a recent thing within fma anyway. don't get hung up on the naming in fma.

tim
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast