Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/12/2008 6:35pm

Style: wing chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775
    I don't believe it either. I have never seen a .22 that wasn't made entirely of soft lead. If it even got to the other side of the skull, I would expect it to just flatten against the bone and stop. Ricochets usually happen with bullets that retain their shape somewhat.

Still, if it goes from one side of the skull to the other, you're pretty much fucked regardless of caliber.

Tell that to Phineas P. Gage. OK, so his personality changed, but you could say that was an awefully big projectile. Theres a school of thought that the locus of places you can hit to quickly/reliably stop a person is about the size and shape of a bowling pin. The head of the pin is the hindbrain and brainstem, the body of the pin represents the area of the heart.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 3:09am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 8bit
    Tell that to Phineas P. Gage. OK, so his personality changed, but you could say that was an awefully big projectile.
    I am aware of Mr. Gage (poor bastard), but his injury was confined to a relatively small portion of th frontal lobe:

Even in his case, his survival was kind of a freak occurrence. Putting a bullet in someone's brain, regardless of caliber is still the most effective way to kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by 8bit
    Theres a school of thought that the locus of places you can hit to quickly/reliably stop a person is about the size and shape of a bowling pin. The head of the pin is the hindbrain and brainstem, the body of the pin represents the area of the heart.
    The best place for a one-shot stop is through the occipital window. This is the triangular area that includes both eyes and the nose as there is little in the way of bony tissue in the way to affect the path of the bullet. The motor center of the brain lies directly behind it. Anywhere else is less than a sure thing. Even someone who has been shot in the heart can keep fighting for sometimes up to thirty seconds.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just saw the video of the quick draw and think the belt sword is totaly awsome!

Too bad I live in California and would get royaly fucked for walking around with it on....

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/14/2008 11:00pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aside from the topic:

Why the hell is Toby posting in this forum?

On topic:

Anna - it will probably be difficult to "easily" sharpen with a file or stone given the overall thickness of the material.

Near sharp with a cheater (cheap sharpening system) will probably give the best results. Can (will) you pick a length of blade and sharpen and give us your feedback?

BTW - you ARE looking good.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 12:42am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I'll probably do that in the very near future. I am pretty curious to try some cutting tests.

Also the maker told me he's working on developing a heavier version so I am really interested in seeing how that one turns out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 12:47am

Style: BJJ / MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you told maker about this thread? Maybe they would be down to come on and answer some questions.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 8:39am

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775
    Still, if it goes from one side of the skull to the other, you're pretty much fucked regardless of caliber.
    I used to hear a story about the Mossad having .22LR auto pistols when assigned to protection details. The story goes, they were trained to empty the cartridge in the face of the assialant from close range. I don't know if it's true or not, but I figure that would take wind out of anybody's sail. Even if one round didn't make it through a skull, I bet 15 or more would make it.

As far as CCW goes, I used to have no problem packing either a snubby .357 or a sig p220. Appendix holsters are pretty good... Depending on what sort of case I was working on, I might also have a concealed camera and recorder on me as well.

Anna, the video was awesome. I imagine that Marines all over the world would be intrigued if they saw that.

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 3:57pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    I used to hear a story about the Mossad having .22LR auto pistols when assigned to protection details. The story goes, they were trained to empty the cartridge in the face of the assialant from close range. I don't know if it's true or not, but I figure that would take wind out of anybody's sail. Even if one round didn't make it through a skull, I bet 15 or more would make it.
    How about 200?
    YouTube - American 180 makes pumpkin pie

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 4:08pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fanciest pumpkin carving I've ever seen...

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 4:40pm

Style: Les Mills Bodycombat™

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have only heard about the American 180 in a fiction book before thanks for that.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast