Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 12:04am

Style: Confused variety

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also wanted to add that Ive had training friends and coleugues over the years who have used their age as an excuse for laziness, almost talked themselves into it.
    What older people including myself forget is that hard training can be painful at any age.
    We recently had a 23 year old fitness instructor join my little martial arts group and it was interesting to find that he was complaining of being sore and tired the next day, the difference between him and the older guys was that we get depressed and say "Im too old for this"

Life is short. There will be plenty of time to rest when its over.
    You might feel like **** after some hard training, dont let it put you off.
    The alternative is a slow motion deterioration of health.

yes get a medical clearance first, but never let age be an excuse, it will ruin your health.

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 1:35am

Style: Silat, New to Hsing- Yi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    full physical.
    at least a day of rest between classes.
    hot tubs, ice massages, motrin, joint supplements.....
    initially your cardio might not be high enough for u to hurt your joints but you will have much muscle soreness, fatigue and possible muscle pulls

Posted On:
    8/08/2008 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You would need to condition your body slowly to go all out in muay thai classes.

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 7:56am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: no style yet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi!

I was offline for a couple of days ... my internet didn't work.

Thanks a lot for the answers ... much to think about. So far, I've got not any problems with my knees or other joints.

I just will try it and tell you about my choice.
    Other option for me: A local WC group, very traditional. At least they do full contact sparring with protecting gear once a month. And I'm thinking about Boxing.

Greetings from Germany
    Häretiker

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 8:05am

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Häretiker
    Hi!

Thanks a lot for the answers ... much to think about. So far, I've got not any problems with my knees or other joints.

Other option for me: A local WC group, very traditional. At least they do full contact sparring with protecting gear once a month. And I'm thinking about Boxing.

Greetings from Germany
    Häretiker
    The best bet it to look into all the training you have around you and find a club that you feel you'd fit into. No point joining a muay thai or boxing gym if everyone there is under 30 and fighting.
    See if you can find one with older guys still training with the younger ones, somewhere you can work at a slower pace.
    I'd add kickboxing to your list of places to look out for, it's a broad term and there's plenty of **** out there but find a good full contact club and it might be just what you're after.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/13/2008 9:45am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Who?
    The best bet it to look into all the training you have around you and find a club that you feel you'd fit into. No point joining a muay thai or boxing gym if everyone there is under 30 and fighting.
    See if you can find one with older guys still training with the younger ones, somewhere you can work at a slower pace.
    I'd add kickboxing to your list of places to look out for, it's a broad term and there's plenty of **** out there but find a good full contact club and it might be just what you're after.
    QFT

This was my exact approach, at 48. BJJ instead of MT. KB for cardio and diversity. Know your limitations, push them when you can.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/15/2008 1:28pm

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started at 30 and am handling the training OK. Just pay attention to what your body tells you.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 8:13pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 44 and I train hard.

IMO, in all likelyhood, your problems wont be so much age related as they will be related to the fact that you have been inactive for so long and are out of shape.

When I was younger, I trained TSD and TKD and the level of fitness in those gyms paled enormously in comparison to boxing. Im not knocking the styles .... maybe I just made a bad choice in schools. Whatever the reason, I wasted a bunch of time and money.

At 43, if you train hard for 6 months to a year in a good boxing program, you will be in better shape than most men half your age.

By the way, everyone I train with is under 35 (most under 30).

That said, if you are REALLY out of shape, I might recommend getting somewhat in shape before even starting boxing training.

Dont make yourself older than you are with an old frame of mind.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/16/2008 8:45pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Häretiker
    Hi!

Greetings from Germany
    Häretiker
    Go play and start slow.

We'll (those of us who have spent decades in the MAs) will all be on canes or walkers later in life anyway!

Might as well get started now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/17/2008 3:58am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When we're talking about age & martial arts, I'd just like to show you guys this video:
    YouTube - Cho's Taekwondo: Life Begins at 80

Age doesn't matter that much at 43, I've met green belts in taekwondo who must've been like 50+++ and they were fighting in a tournament ( green belt takes 9 months to get).
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast