Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 9:46pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    True - but quality of life is usually determined by the choices we make.

But your statement has nothing to do with the OP's question about starting MT at 43.

Youth is relative - until you're my age. Then it is a distant memory and you live vicariously through your kid's achievements.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 8/02/2008 9:48pm at .

Rowsdower!

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 11:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: On Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Hell, I'm 23 and sometimes I feel too old for this crap
    I sometimes feel that way... I'm 23 as well, and sometimes I feel like an old geezer next to the fit-an'-trim high school kids. Then again I haven't been doing Muay Thai nearly as long as you, so I don't have any of the wear-and-tear that you suffer from.

Still, sometimes I look in the mirror at my receding hairline, the deep troughs under my eyes, the creases in my face, and my perpetual Chuck Liddell Beer-Gut (TM), and wonder if I should really be doing this kind of stuff. Sure I'm getting regular exercise, but am I really just making my body worse in the long run? Instead of building myself up into something better, am I gradually just tearing myself down? Will all this training just turn me into a broken old man?

But then I remember: hitting people in the face is REALLY fun, and the prospect of getting BETTER at hitting people in the face just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. So, I keep on keepin' on.

To the OP, I say give Muay Thai a shot. Just remember to lift your heel and rotate on the ball of your foot when you throw that roundhouse... your knees will thank you (my right knee is still unhappy with me).

P.S. - KidSpatula, will you go out with me?
    Last edited by Kid Miracleman; 8/02/2008 11:16pm at .

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 1:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Hell, I'm 23 and sometimes I feel too old for this crap
    I think we all feel like that sometimes (29 here). At the last grading competition I went to, I met a guy who was in his late 40s and going for his orange belt (so basically just starting out). He got it too, won with an osoto-gari I think (it's a bit hazy, I hit the mats hard a few times that day).

After that I figured I should probably quit bitching about anything (even if I mostly only do it in my head) and just get on with it.
    Last edited by Lu Tze; 8/03/2008 4:52am at . Reason: moved a comma, it reads betterer now.

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 4:14am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speak for yourselves you 20-something year-old geezers. My instructors in judo were shocked when they found out I was over 30 and not part of the group of college kids that all joined together at the same time as me.

I thank karate, fish oil, and the fact I never grew out of being an immature retard.

P.S. Boxing sounded like really good advice for the OP btw.

:)

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 11:54am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Miracleman
    But then I remember: hitting people in the face is REALLY fun, and the prospect of getting BETTER at hitting people in the face just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. So, I keep on keepin' on.

To the OP, I say give Muay Thai a shot. Just remember to lift your heel and rotate on the ball of your foot when you throw that roundhouse... your knees will thank you (my right knee is still unhappy with me).

what you said...but I like to kick people in the face, or at least try...either way, I get to kick a lot of leg, trying to set it up, and that takes me back to my soccer days, kicking the utter crap out of the forward's shins....

*sings* memories~~~~something something somethiiiiiiiiing~~~~

Sometimes you gotta just do what the hell you want, until you're unable..life is kinda short, and it goes faster as you age......

quick! run outside and kick someone before you comletely fall apart.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 11:19pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you found a MT gym to work out at yet? Talk to the instructor(s) and let them know your situation, that you're getting back in shape. They'll understand when you take extra water breaks or want to sit out a round of sparring to catch your breath. There's nothing wrong with pacing yourself. Don't let anybody, or your own ego, pressure you into training to the point of injury. Watch your joints, start slow and work at your own comfort level or just a little above it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 12:20pm

Style: Grappling & Lifting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No you're not too old.

It really depends on the gym. If it's more 'fighter oriented' then you might run into some problems. If not, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just try a few free lessons (or pay for a few lessons on the spot) and don't sign any contracts until you know you're gravy.

Some of the people I did Muay Thai with that were a bit on the couch potato side did Yoga alongside it and found some success.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 2:25pm

Style: Muay Thai MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Yojimbo1717

Some of the people I did Muay Thai with that were a bit on the couch potato side did Yoga alongside it and found some success.
    Those Yoga guys have no defence for a good jab-cross-roundhouse I'm not suprised the thai guys won.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 7:50pm

Style: Ninjutsu/Isshinryu/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm 39 and plan to start MT by the end of the year. As stated before, you will only get older. Go for it now, but know your limits.

I wish you the best.

:)

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 8:03pm

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    your first few classes (2 weeks of them) go easy....it's not how you feel during training that counts, as much as how you do afterwards...and how able you are to go back, before the benefit wears off.

Enjoy!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast