Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 1:44pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Knuckle Up Fitness

They have 5 or 6 locations I have only been to two - sandy Springs and Midtown.

Good School Overall. The Sandy Springs Location is much better then the midtown location which is very cramped. I gave the size a 6 but this is to split the difference. really midtown is a 3 and Sandy Springs is a 8 or 9.

Black or High level Browns teach all the BJJ classes though sometimes they can be small. The striking instruction is solid. There are alot of good strikers to spar with at both gyms. Typical class structure. This is one of the best over all gyms in the City. Alliance is better for pure BJJ but this is a good school is you want to do both Striking and BJJ

Contracts are tuff though. Watch out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 3:36pm

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I assume those are the monthly rates you listed?

What's involved in the $69/month rate versus say the $109/month rate.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 2:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Age, length of contract, number of classes. I actually paid more then that but I only did a three month contract. There specific pricing list listed in detail on there website.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 6:54pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only really been to the sandy springs location and mostly do my own thing. I hate how high pressure sales they are, very very McDojo this one.

But the facilities they provide are pretty top notch. The BJJ class is taught in kind of a small area which makes for rolling from the knees which I hate to see but it is what it is. The muay thai class could stand to have some more space as well but it works out ok. Though I believe that they should have the muay thai students taking turns sparring in the ring rather then all in the same room as a group. The latter creates bad habits.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think me and Anna Trocity are paying like $89/month each for the muay thai program with an enrollment fee that was about $100 each.

I can't really comment much on the classes there as I've only taken a handful of the muay thai classes, one kali class, and nothing else.

Starting probably next week I do plan on regularly doing the muay thai class and the Team Training class, both taught by Phillip Botha so after I've gotten a good sense of how the classes go I'll maybe write what I think.

I will say that Knuckle Up does seem to be very competition oriented. Since I've been training there both Khunpon (who no longer teaches there) and Phillip Botha have set me up with (or at least tried to) fights. There are also a lot of active competitors that train at Knuckle up that compete in kickboxing/boxing/MMA/grappling. There are even a number of female fighters training at Knuckle Up besides myself and Kat, which is fairly unique.

As far as space goes, while Knuckle Up has some pretty sizable facilities at the Sandy Springs location (where I train), training space can still be problematic simply because of the huge quantity of people enrolled there. As Anna Trocity mentioned, the muay thai sparring is done in the muay thai area rather than in the boxing ring, which is problematic, though you can still sometimes find time to use the ring as long as no one else is using it (which can be a pain since it gets used by the boxing class and personal trainers throughout the day).