Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 1:36pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Weight loss? High Intensity Training

Hi, Is it possible to lose 2 pounds in 1 day? Not water weight but real weight.

A few days ago I tried a new gym where the whole session was high intensity, with breaks every 2-to-5 minutes depending on the drill. For example one drill was the same 1-2 combo with more and more reps, untill this combo had been done about 80 times. Then on to the next combo.

So the next morning it looks like I lost 2 pounds, the next day I gained one back, and gained another the day after that. My normal workout is reasonably hard from a cardio standpoint, and I run a couple miles when there isnt practice. But I have never lost weight like that. Usualy I lose some water weight but put it back almost instantly.

Anyway, over the next few days I did ordinary workouts, with no loss. Searching the Internet I discovered this new thing called HIIT (new to me). Yesterday I tried a sprint/walk mix on an elliptical trainer, and found that I lost 3 pounds again.

I would call it water loss, except it takes a couple days to gain back.

Any ideas? Thanks for your time!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A pound of body fat has roughly 3500kcals of energy in it. Double that, and you're looking at 7000kcal burned in a day*. It's possible, taking into account inefficiencies in energy conversion and resting metabolic rates, but it's a lot of energy.

That said, it's almost a sure bet that your weight fluctuation isn't due to body fat storage. Read through this chapter of the Hacker's Diet (use the "next" button at the top of each page).

* Edit: That's 7000kcal in a day in excess of what you've eaten.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 8/01/2008 6:46pm at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 6:57pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you really need is Special High Intensity Training.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 8:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Losing Weight

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Olympic rowers only burn like 6000 calories a day preparing for the Olympics, so I doubt it.

How about instead of asking us you actually try it and come back with some results?

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 9:04pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmm...I don't know what it is about you, polish, but I just don't trust you.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 10:17pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    do you feel really really hungry after the training? some researchers in Norway found out that the best way to loose weight and improve endurance is 4 minute runs with the hearth rate at 90%..(with breaks in between sets of course) I think it "activates" your metabolic combustion. It enchants your ability to put energy out of your body. I don't know how works with building muscles.. because this makes you stronger in a way but your body will eat your muscles if you don't eat enough.. and it is almost impossible to eat enough when that metabolic combustion sets of.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 7:14am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Russ. Here's an example. Running at a 7.5 mpm pace for 6-7 hours would meet the estimated calorie expenditure for a couple of pounds. I cant imagine the case you described as being fat loss.

IMO, you are on the right track with HIIT though. Not saying you are losing 3 pounds of fat a day with it, but there is plenty of info/work around that supports HIIT as being a superior way to lose weight.

For control of body fat percentage, your diet will be at least every bit as important as your exercise routine.
    Last edited by muddy; 8/02/2008 7:18am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 12:10pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If, after doing an exercise routine that doesn't involve a whole day, you lose, say, two pounds one day and you recover one pound a day later, by the logical razor given to us by Occam (may His thinking nuts shelter us from evil), we can say for certain that it's water loss.

Not that you are not losing fat (and probably muscle) in the process, but visible fluctuations in body weight from one day to the next is primarily water (or poop if you take a colossal dump of cosmic proportions... seriously.)

To the OP, go read the bloody sticky thread. This has been discussed and documented before.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 11:05am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the feedback. I tried another test and have to say that it was water loss, even though it took a couple days to gain it all back.

The last test was pretty simple. I did my normal 3 mile run on a treadmill, at 6 mph. But for the last mile I switched to an elliptical and went at max intensity for 30 sec, then min intensity for 30 sec, until the mile was finished.

This gave the same result - the next morning I was at 194, a day later at 195, now at 196. Other than the missing couple pounds all is normal, no massive hunger or stiffness.

In hindsight I must have been wishing a bit ( a lot ) to think that it might be real weight loss. Somehow the bit about HIIT and Excess Post-exercise Oxygen Consumption sounded magical. But when its put in terms of 6000+ Calories for a mile of sprint/walk it becomes clear..

Anyway, I will make HIIT part of my workout and see if its a keeper.