Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/29/2003 9:35pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is k-1 worked?

Is K-1 worked? and how is it different from regular kickboxing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/30/2003 6:20pm

Style: FUK U

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    probably some fights are worked but for the most part no ive seen some real barn burners its the elite of the elite strikers in the world

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    10/31/2003 10:27am

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I highly doubt any offical K-1 fight has be staged, more than boxing or even MMA.

I think the confusion comes with how K-1, a Japanese promotion, choses to conduct business. Much like Pride, they have a product that is based on entertainment value almost as much as the fights.

In K-1/Pride there are several ways for a fighter to be sucessful. People that are of questionable skill but people want to see, like Bob Sapp, can be very popular and make tons of money.

Unlike the US, Japan does not treat being associated with prowrestling as a negative, in fact just the opposite, so PROMOTIONAL techniques from prowrestling are used. By these I mean worked interivews, lots of pyros, giving popular fighters some sort of gimmick or catchy nickname. This can lead to American fans thinking, this is just like WWE, the fights must be fake too.
    Last edited by Punisher; 10/31/2003 10:29am at .

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 10:29am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As for the second part of your question, K-1 has its origins in a Japanese full contact style called Shodokaikan, formerlly known as Seidokaikan, before which it was known as Sediokan. It is an indirect off-shoot of Kyokushinkai (I think) but in no way affiliated with Shihan Nakamura's Seido Karate.

Back in the 1980's the style began to "modernize". Less kata, more emphasis on tournament fighting (Kyokushin rules). As time went on and the organization (under Ishii) began to get more heavily into the fight promotion game, the style opened up: more foreigners, more kick boxers, more international venues.

As a former student of Ishii's and Kakuda's (I'm an old fart) I cannot believe it's rigged. But that's more of a character judgement than anything else. I'd be disappointed to find otherwise.
    Last edited by sumdumgoy; 11/07/2003 10:32am at .

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 3:48pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Submission Wrestling.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    K-1 isn't generally worked but there have been works, according to Cro Cop.
    "Training = pain." - I said that.

PizDoff when drunk: "I'm actually MOST pissed that my target for the evening got drink...then I gave her my Bullshido Canada hoodie like a gentleman because she was outside with not much on...did I mention she barfed twice when I got our jackets...steaming barf is kinda fascinating..." - PizDoff.

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 3:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that any pro sport has its "selected" few stars that are "brought" up and babied for a bit, given easy matches, but when it comes to title fights, well, its not boxing yet.

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 4:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL @ k1 being a work

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 4:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not fixed but matches that are handpicked for better entertainement value, for sure.

Posted On:
    11/07/2003 4:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL@ entertainment!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2003 3:27pm

Style: jkd,bjj,etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I doubt individual matches are orchestrated, I hope not. But as far as the circuit being carefully arranged for maximum spectator excitement (especially from a gambling perspective) absolutely so.
    Gaming and gambling are way more prevelant and important to typical mid to upper class Japanese than in the US (and it is huge in the US).

Hell golfing with your boss and coworkers (work circuit) in Japan is big business (average about $100k per player just to participate for the years dues) plus interesting things like "Hole in 1 insurance" because by their gambling rules for golf, if you sink a hole in 1, YOU have to pay every other player (a lot) and could cost you a years salary. Thus they have a gambling insurance policy to cover this.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast