Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 3:16pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro
    PS. You're from Dublin? Do you know Paddy Carmody? I trained with him in Brazil for a while. Top bloke.
    Not only do I know paddy, i had the pleasure of being armbarred by him in the irish open last year :D Great dude. Is he EVER going to get his purple belt though? It was about bloody time a year ago!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:19pm

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    Not only do I know paddy, i had the pleasure of being armbarred by him in the irish open last year :D Great dude. Is he EVER going to get his purple belt though? It was about bloody time a year ago!

Teehee - yeah, that blue belts practically white again. I think he's at GB Birmingham at the mo, so hopefully Braulio will MAKE him wear a purple!

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so, gracie gift.
    Yay or nay.

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 7:01pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    huh yeah, so you going to answer the other questions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2008 3:38am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight
    huh yeah, so you going to answer the other questions?
    Sorry, you wanted to know how big the SA nationals was?

OK,

Total Competitors 181
    Individual Bouts 359
    Competition Mats 5
    Crew and Judges 62

So, not as big as the mundials, but a reasonable competition none-the-less. Divisions? Well, being as we've only been open 10 months, our students are all in the beginners class. But they won 5 out of the 6 adult beginners gi divisions, and 3 out of the 6 adult beginners nogi divisions. All in all 14 golds, 10 silvers and 4 bronzes including our kids.

The original poster was asking about the combatives programme? The combatives techniques that were used most were things like maintaining the mount, armbar from mount, twisting arm control, RNC etc. So, in my experience, the combatives does translate into sport jiu jitsu.

I hope this helps.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/20/2008 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So yeah, Gracie Gift.......yes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 2:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ummm... Uhhh... Yes.... Shorts boy. Whatever. I look forward to more of your inciteful and considered posts.
    Last edited by sapateiro; 8/21/2008 2:33am at .

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 10:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While delivered in a very simplistic way, this is a real issue. The "combatives" as demonstrated include some techniques that are unconscionably bad. Most notably the gracie gift guard pass.

To teach that as a basic and go to move is inexcusable. If you've got good posture, control of their hips and something pinning a leg, fine. If you've been around long enough to be cognizant of the problems and are confident enough in your triangle escape, fine. If it is being taught to beginners who don't know better, not fine. Not fine at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 3:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    While delivered in a very simplistic way, this is a real issue. The "combatives" as demonstrated include some techniques that are unconscionably bad. Most notably the gracie gift guard pass.

To teach that as a basic and go to move is inexcusable. If you've got good posture, control of their hips and something pinning a leg, fine. If you've been around long enough to be cognizant of the problems and are confident enough in your triangle escape, fine. If it is being taught to beginners who don't know better, not fine. Not fine at all.
    We teach the 2 combatives guard passes (open & closed guard) and then the sportive passes for our more advanced students. The thing that most people forget is that the combatives programme is to defend yourself against someone on the street. Go out on a saturday night, and ask the guys at the local bar how to put a triangle on. Of course they don't know what a triangle is. So why, when you're trying to arm your students with techniques in the shortest possible time, would you include a triangle counter?

There's a lot of crime here in South Africa, and a number of students of ours have already successfully used these techniques to defend themselves... Something they might not have done if I'd have spent weeks perfecting some complicated multiple-step guard pass.

And as for 'being around long enough to be cognizant of the problems' - the family have been having street fights for more than 50 years, and understand what works on the streets. The combatives programme reflects that. I've also trained sportive bjj, lived in Rio, and trained with Carlinhos & Royler, but most of their teaching is sportive. It's important that everyone understands the difference. Obviously the US army do, otherwise they'd be perfecting their rubberguard instead of doing the combatives programme wouldn't they?
    Last edited by sapateiro; 8/22/2008 4:28am at .

Posted On:
    8/22/2008 5:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly sapteiro while I can see where you're coming from, but answer me this - why do they need to pass the guard of someone who doesn't even know what a triangle is?

And I totally disagree with your poitn about "a complicated multi-step guard pass" - even the gracie gift is (for a beginner) complicated and has several steps. A double underhook pass is very similar with a small difference, would be just as easy to teach and a tonne safer. So why teach the gracie gift instead?
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast