Exasperated.

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 1:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I'd train with the Gene Lebell affiliate, if you don't already. 'Judo' Gene was no stranger to restraining tactics himself.
    I'd want to agree with you but I went to a Haystan affiliate once and, well, momma Lumpa always said if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/09/2008 1:35pm

Style: BJJ/GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO The Gracie Combatives is a good way to learn jiu jitsu.

It's the core stuff that works regardless of whether the opponent is hitting you or not, or wearing a gi or not, or on concrete or not. The core stuff translates into sportive competition, but it doesn't necessarily work the other way round. Just my 2 cents.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 2:26am

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 3:45am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Phew... Expansive answer...

Is that 'no' to the original question about can the poster learn the Gracie Combatives outside of the military? (in which case you're wrong, you can), or is it in answer to my post about the combatives programme being the useful core of jiu jitsu and working in tourneys too?

The reason I believe this stuff works is because I teach the combatives programme fulltime (we have 15 scheduled classes per week, plus privates, and self defense seminars (did one just yesterday). The academy has been open here in Cape Town for just over 10 months, and we swept up at the South African Nationals last weekend, winning 14 golds, 10 silvers and 4 bronzes against teams from all over the country including affiliations of Renzo Gracie, Royler Gracie and Roberto Atalla.

...So is the Gracie Combatives stuff useful and worth a try in my opinion? Yes.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are wrong.

South African Nationals? What is that? Like 9 guys?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:26am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh... Now I'm getting it... This forum isn't about helping people out by answering their questions, it's about making monosylabic dumbass comments without reasoning, foundation, or evidence.

Sorry dude, go windup someone else. I'm off to teach some jiu jitsu.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 4:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, teach them the Gracie Gift!

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 7:32am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sapateiro - you're in cape town, are you guys a roberto atalla affiliate? I remember him mentioning a club in capetown on his blog a bunch of times.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Das Moose
    Sapateiro - you're in cape town, are you guys a roberto atalla affiliate? I remember him mentioning a club in capetown on his blog a bunch of times.
    Hi Das Moose,

We're imaginatively called 'Gracie Jiu Jitsu Cape Town' under Rener & Ryron. Roberto has a few affiliates around Jo'berg, notably a brown belt called Weikus who runs the 'tapoutacademy' there. But I think he does the rounds in terms of seminars when he's out here. The other academy in CT used to be Gracie Barra, but recently changed to Renzo Gracie.

There are also representatives of Carlsons (via Marcus Soares), and Royler. But the relationships between the clubs are good and representatives from other affiliiations are welcome.

PS. You're from Dublin? Do you know Paddy Carmody? I trained with him in Brazil for a while. Top bloke.
    Last edited by sapateiro; 8/10/2008 11:25am at .

Posted On:
    8/10/2008 2:12pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sapateiro
    Phew... Expansive answer...

Is that 'no' to the original question about can the poster learn the Gracie Combatives outside of the military? (in which case you're wrong, you can), or is it in answer to my post about the combatives programme being the useful core of jiu jitsu and working in tourneys too?

The reason I believe this stuff works is because I teach the combatives programme fulltime (we have 15 scheduled classes per week, plus privates, and self defense seminars (did one just yesterday). The academy has been open here in Cape Town for just over 10 months, and we swept up at the South African Nationals last weekend, winning 14 golds, 10 silvers and 4 bronzes against teams from all over the country including affiliations of Renzo Gracie, Royler Gracie and Roberto Atalla.

...So is the Gracie Combatives stuff useful and worth a try in my opinion? Yes.
    So what is the break down of the belts / divisions these wins were in?

Also, how many people were in the tournament?

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast