Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 1:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight
    Google shows at least a couple places near you. You sure theirs NO bjj? ...or just none you want to attend?
    Well, I may have to look again, BJJ places have a tendency to "come and go" around here. My friend that trains at the Gene Lebell affiliate up here said there weren't any active school close. I'll check again, thanks.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 7:26am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a law enforcement friend that went to that seminar. All you get is certified to teach Combatives techniques. Which is cool and all but really. It is basic. I mean really basic. He could demonstrate the techniques, but when rolling he was still green. It is actually a little embarrassing because when you teaching certain BJJ techniques, you like to get on the mat and show them. It sux when the people you try to demonstrate on are more knowledgeable than you are. That usually means you shouldn't be teaching.

All I really saying is that the seminar style is a good way to get those techniques from the source. But BJJ isn't a mystery, everyone has the techniques now. You just need to use them, drill them, and then when you think you know them, drill them some more.

So what are you planning to do? Go to the seminar, then come back and roll with friends, or other training parters. That is what my Law Enforcement friend did. He is starting to get pretty decent. It is hard for him though, because he has no one to ask questions too. But he is getting the reps in.

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 9:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does the combatives course talk at all about weapons retention, or downsides to groundfighting as a LEO/military?

Take my question with a grain of salt--I think learning grappling is absolutely essential for LEOs and military.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 3:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    I have a law enforcement friend that went to that seminar. All you get is certified to teach Combatives techniques. Which is cool and all but really. It is basic. I mean really basic. He could demonstrate the techniques, but when rolling he was still green. It is actually a little embarrassing because when you teaching certain BJJ techniques, you like to get on the mat and show them. It sux when the people you try to demonstrate on are more knowledgeable than you are. That usually means you shouldn't be teaching.

All I really saying is that the seminar style is a good way to get those techniques from the source. But BJJ isn't a mystery, everyone has the techniques now. You just need to use them, drill them, and then when you think you know them, drill them some more.

So what are you planning to do? Go to the seminar, then come back and roll with friends, or other training parters. That is what my Law Enforcement friend did. He is starting to get pretty decent. It is hard for him though, because he has no one to ask questions too. But he is getting the reps in.
    Something like that.

Thanks for the tips.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 9:01am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    Well, I may have to look again, BJJ places have a tendency to "come and go" around here. My friend that trains at the Gene Lebell affiliate up here said there weren't any active school close. I'll check again, thanks.
    I'd train with the Gene Lebell affiliate, if you don't already. 'Judo' Gene was no stranger to restraining tactics himself.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 4:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I'd train with the Gene Lebell affiliate, if you don't already. 'Judo' Gene was no stranger to restraining tactics himself.
    I would... but one of the assistant instructors there is an ex of my girlfriend and we don't get along. It's a shame really, since I get along with everyone else that I know training there.
    Sometimes life gets in the way, you know?

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/06/2008 1:11am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, thanks for the help. :icon_thum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2008 8:07am

Style: IRT/FMA/BJJ/BUDO TAIJUTSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would just reiterate what everyone else said and just find a good BJJ school. In the long run you will be happy you did.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/06/2008 10:04am

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    I would... but one of the assistant instructors there is an ex of my girlfriend and we don't get along. It's a shame really, since I get along with everyone else that I know training there.
    Sometimes life gets in the way, you know?

Suck it up, go train there.

Posted On:
    8/06/2008 5:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    Does the combatives course talk at all about weapons retention, or downsides to groundfighting as a LEO/military?

Take my question with a grain of salt--I think learning grappling is absolutely essential for LEOs and military.

Yes, in the Law enforcement version they do some weapon's retention. It is some pretty tough stuff to learn. You pretty much need to roll with a duty belt on all the time. It has to become second nature. But the handcuffing stuff you do is the same type of stuff you get in the academy.

When I went through the academy we did lots of handcuffing stuff with ground training. Law Enforcement has pretty much got this down, but the Gracie's have some cool ways to impliment techniques.

The modern army combatives program has pretty good weapons retention stuff. It was developed by the gracies too.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast