Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 5:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Question about Gracie Combatives...

If I'm not an LEO and am no longer active duty Military, is it possible to even learn the Gracie Combatives system? Does anyone know where I can get info on it? Thanks.

EDIT: Is anyone familiar with the system? Thanks.
    Last edited by Jim_Jude; 7/31/2008 5:32pm at .
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 5:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why would you want to?
    Take bjj or join an mma gym and payless while learning more.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 5:21pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sure the Gracies will sell you some great DVDs in the subject.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 5:33pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gracie Combatives system < a decent BJJ and / or MMA program; hell in some cases even a below average BJJ and / or MMA program.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 5:51pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.gracieacademy.com/gracie_combatives.html

According to the FAQ:

Any active or reserve military personnel are eligible to participate in the Gracie CombativesTM course. Proof of current military status is required.
    So you may not be eligable, but your probably better off just taking BJJ or GJJ anyway.

I have a question: it says after completing the course you get certified to teach it for 6 months. Anyone know how long it takes to complete the course?

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 6:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They've got one that's not just military, anyone can do it and get a "blue belt".

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 7:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan
    http://www.gracieacademy.com/gracie_combatives.html

According to the FAQ:

So you may not be eligable, but your probably better off just taking BJJ or GJJ anyway.

I have a question: it says after completing the course you get certified to teach it for 6 months. Anyone know how long it takes to complete the course?
    From elsewhere on the site you posted (edited in the whole thing):
    Quote Originally Posted by Gracie Combatives

Step 1: Learn the Techniques
    The 36 Gracie Combatives techniques have been strategically divided into 23 one hour classes so that you can complete the course at your own pace. Each lesson is taught using unique Gracie Teaching Methods so that no previous experience is required to participate in any of the 23 lessons. As a result,you can complete them in any order. Upon enrolling, you will be issued a Combatives Card on which all your progress will be tracked and each month you will receive a Combatives Calendar that depicts which techniques will be taught in each lesson throughout the entire month.

Step 2: Develop Your Reflexes
    Once you complete each of the 23 Gracie Combatives lessons two times, you will qualify to participate in the Reflex Development Classes. In these classes you will learn to execute all 36 techniques in every possible combination by conducting carefully scripted Fight Simulation Drills. Once you master all techniques in the context of the Fight Simulation Drills you will be considered “Street Ready”.

Step 3: Earn Your Blue Belt
    Once you complete each of the Gracie Combatives lesson a third time and you master the 36 techniques in the context of the Reflex Development Classes, you will be considered for promotion to Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Blue Belt!
    Now that is listed as the Gracie Combatives which I'm assumeing is the same for the military version. So it seems like if you are really good then 36 hours x 3 = 108 hours to get a blue belt.

So if you train 2 hours a day 3 days a week = A blue belt in about 18 weeks or 4.5 months.
    Last edited by lionknight; 8/01/2008 1:01am at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 11:13pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What is your reason? You just want a Gracie Certificate or you want to learn the techniques? Gracie Combatives = Modern Army Combatives = Blue Belt. Go to any BJJ school and learn the same thing.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 12:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    What is your reason? You just want a Gracie Certificate or you want to learn the techniques? Gracie Combatives = Modern Army Combatives = Blue Belt. Go to any BJJ school and learn the same thing.
    I practice a few different arts & would like to add some of the more effective, concentrated BJJ stuff to my grab bag. If I could do it in a seminar format, such as it looks like the Gracie Combatives program is presented in, that would be nice, since there is no BJJ close to me (Victorville, CA).

I don't really care about the "Blue Belt". It's nice, good for holding the gi closed, not much else.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 12:50am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jude
    I practice a few different arts & would like to add some of the more effective, concentrated BJJ stuff to my grab bag. If I could do it in a seminar format, such as it looks like the Gracie Combatives program is presented in, that would be nice, since there is no BJJ close to me (Victorville, CA).

I don't really care about the "Blue Belt". It's nice, good for holding the gi closed, not much else.
    Google shows at least a couple places near you. You sure theirs NO bjj? ...or just none you want to attend?
Page 1 of 8 1 2345 ... LastLast