• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 10:12am

Business Class Supporting Member
     New York MMA Examiner Style: magic FUCKING powers!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, now that I'm training regularly, again, I feel justified in posting and getting rid of that fucking enormous message at the top of the screen.

I stopped training for self defense because I got into a fight. The dude was a drunk asshole and started in with me, so I knocked him around a little. Not only was it incredibly easy because I'm bigger than average and he was drunk, but I could have avoided it all together if I just didn't take the bate. I notice most "real fights" work like this and any real challenge comes from the gym.

That being said, I maintain everyone here has that little fantasy in the back of their head that involves being able to whoop someone who really has it coming. It might be childish, but so is driving too fast and ripping someone a new asshole on a web forum. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say people who are complete grown-ups about everything probably play different sports, if any.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 10:24am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stopped when I realized kinda like you I have no need for SD I never get attacked or put myself into stupid situations. (Also I bought a gun, I live in a high crime town 9 months out of the year). I train cause I like hitting people, getting hit, and submitting folks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 10:25am

Style: Arnis, BJJ, Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
    I stopped when I realized kinda like you I have no need for SD I never get attacked or put myself into stupid situations. (Also I bought a gun, I live in a high crime town 9 months out of the year). I train cause I like hitting people, getting hit, and submitting folks.

glad i'm not the only one that enjoys the pain.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 10:30am

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like M1k3, I train for the exercise, the friends that I have at the school, and the challenge.

Besides, where else can you hit people several times a week, and not end up in jail.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 10:35am

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pyromaniac1918
    glad i'm not the only one that enjoys the pain.
    A good shin checking and trading some hands make for a good day, however I hate grappling pain. Got my arm popped never again will I wait that long to tap out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 10:43am

Style: Arnis, BJJ, Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Th3 D3adly
    A good shin checking and trading some hands make for a good day, however I hate grappling pain. Got my arm popped never again will I wait that long to tap out.
    oh i still enjoy the grappling pain, but it just isn't the same as the pain you get from blocking strikes.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never trained for SD, it's always been because I enjoyed it.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 11:45am

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by f4n4n
    I would argue that you train for SD you just don't realize it.
    I would argue that the OP pretty clearly asked about people's motivation for training, not about the potential benefits.

To me, it's always been a mixed bag of...well, I train for fun, I train to get some much-needed exercise, and yes, in a sense, for self defence. This is more of a psychological thing than out of an actual belief that I'll ever be involved in an altercation, or will be able to hold my own if I do, but since I began to practice martial arts I feel less helpless. You might say that it's a way to combat mild paranoia, and if my ability to handle myself is imaginary, then I don't much care since the scenarios where I'd need to are likewise so.

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Y'know, I think deep down I've never trained for self defence, I just really like doing this ****.

When I went boxing as a teenager, it was ostensibly to learn how to "handle myself" (I never did btw, and probably never will...), but really... I just fucking loved it. Face it guys, training hurts, we wouldn't put ourselves through this **** if we didn't all enjoy it on some level.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I fully concur.

I train so that I know techniques that LEOs/social workers/prison guards/etc (people who need to know these things) can use. A very small part of my training is self-defense because people can be farking crazy, despite my politeness.

I train self-defense for the purpose of teaching self-defense.
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast