Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 4:51pm

Style: Shotokan/Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

How many of you guys really had to use your art to defend yourself

This is a serious thread.

most people that train in a martial art thankfully never get to use it in a real situation .

You know there is a difference between a dojo match or a tournament or even a UFC cage match. Simply because there are rules, certain techniques are illegal.

How many of you guys really had to resort to your training to defend yourselves.

In most states unless you are Police , you have a duty to withdraw if you can , and even if you are a Police , there is a legal limit to how much physical force you can use.

For example you can't round kick a person in the head unless you have pretty articulable reasons that your life was in danger and he presented a bonafide threat. The standards are even more stringent for civilians.

I know there are some military dudes in here , Im sure some of you especially if you were in combat took out a enemy.

So really has anybody had to really use their training when it counted.

What did you find that worked , what advice to you have for anybody who may unfortunately be in that situation.

My advice is run like a ************ if you can , if you are police you cant run.

try talking try reasoning try bluffing, if you cant , hit first hit hard and make it count because you may not get a second chance.

Like I said , im not looking for a flame war , this is a serious thread.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This serious thread has been beaten to death on Judoforum... I wouldn't be surpirsed if it was beaten to death on Bulshido as well...

Boneheaded Optimist

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 5:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Wado Kai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious answer. Once. And it ended up in a wrist lock, believe it or not. Drunken moron at a cabin we were renting. Nothing dramatic, it was over in about three seconds, and the guy wandered off home.
    Quote Originally Posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's **** for your own philosophical betterment.

Quote Originally Posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Grappler
    This serious thread has been beaten to death on Judoforum... I wouldn't be surpirsed if it was beaten to death on Bulshido as well...
    No one has ever asked that question before.

No one has ever pointed out that UFC is not a street fight.

This is sheds new light on a lot things that will bring about many thoughtful responses.

And why do you beat a dead horse? Isn't a pointless exercise.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 6:04pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    beating a dead horse is good training for fighting a live opponent. Also, board and brick breaking have been very applicable in my career.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    No one has ever asked that question before.

No one has ever pointed out that UFC is not a street fight.

This is sheds new light on a lot things that will bring about many thoughtful responses.

And why do you beat a dead horse? Isn't a pointless exercise.

You really got a BB in Kyokushin , Thats sick , much respect to you , I only know of Seido in NYC which is Nakamura Sensei who was affliated with Mas Oyama . And that i heard was pretty sick too.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxguitar
    You really got a BB in Kyokushin , Thats sick , much respect to you , I only know of Seido in NYC which is Nakamura Sensei who was affliated with Mas Oyama . And that i heard was pretty sick too.
    The question you should be asking your self is why aren't you training with a legend like Tadashi Nakamura.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 8:08pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question worth asking, is why haven't you validated your claims of being a LEO, when you have an ADMIN right here in this thread.

Serious answer: Yes. Frequently.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    The question you should be asking your self is why aren't you training with a legend like Tadashi Nakamura.

I would if I lived in NYC , Im too far away . But my senseis are dam good too.
    6th dans in Shotokan and Shito Ryu . So Im good with that .

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 11:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Errant108
    The question worth asking, is why haven't you validated your claims of being a LEO, when you have an ADMIN right here in this thread.

Serious answer: Yes. Frequently.
    Because I rather you think im lying , and what for to appease you , I don't think so , I think if theres any cops on this forum , they know , You don't need to know unless you come to my juridiction and commit a crime and get hooked and booked , and when you get bought into the pct , Ill be the smiling Lieutenant who will log your ass in and decide if its a bailable offense how much , in your case the MAX .

Look , im not proving **** to you , Besides like you said , you aren't going to show respect anyway , so there you go .
Page 1 of 11 1 2345 ... LastLast