• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 11:29pm

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 11:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An example of a food product that yields high levels of acid for the body to dispose of is a cola drink. Phosphoric acid is one of the ingredients listed on the cola container. The pH of cola is ~3.0, ranging from 2.8 to 3.2. The human kidney can excrete urine with a pH no lower than 5. If one ingests and fully absorbs a beverage with a pH of 3, one has to dilute it 100-fold to achieve a urinary pH of 5. Thus, a can containing 330 mL of cola would result in 33 L of urine! This does not happen because the body buffers the acid of the soft drink. For full buffering, 1 L of cola requires some four tablets of Tums, which contain 16 mEq of carbonate as the calcium salt.

A relevant comparison of the metabolic effects of acid phosphate and neutral phosphate was published by Lau et al. (1979). Young healthy adults consumed identical diets plus 2 g of phosphate, either acidic or neutral. The total phosphate ingested was identical, but the acid phosphate group ingested an excess of 24 mEq H+. Net urinary acid and calcium excretion were measured. Urinary calcium excretion per day was 52 mg greater in subjects consuming acid phosphate than in those ingesting neutral phosphate. Clearly, it is not how much phosphate is consumed that affects urinary calcium, but whether it is in a chemically neutral or acid form.
    -Excess Dietary Protein Can Adversely Affect Bone, Uriel S. Barzel and Linda K. Massey

So, uh, I guess the phosphoric acid could have a leaching effect on bone calcium if you're not getting enough calcium and/or veggies in your diet. I don't really like that paper as a whole, but I'm too lazy to look up the papers it's citing.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 12:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Question
    I've read that drinking too much Aspartame can **** with your blood-brain barrier, but you would have to take in enormous amounts.
    The "rumor" was that Aspartame was rushed out to replace Saccharine and Aspartame was found to synthesize into Formadehyde and deposit in the brain causing brain lesions.

Don't know how much of this is true.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 12:06am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soda water + cranberry juice is a nice alternative to **** like coke

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 12:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Between this thread and this tangent, maybe someone should gather all of the aspartame talk into a new thread?

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 1:57am

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Snake Plissken
    The "rumor" was that Aspartame was rushed out to replace Saccharine and Aspartame was found to synthesize into Formadehyde and deposit in the brain causing brain lesions.

Don't know how much of this is true.
    I've heard a few times that this happens when it warms to body temperature, which is why you should never leave a pallet of diet soda out in the sun. Never took the time to see if it was true, though. Bottom line is that, even without the sugar, the other ingredients in sodas are just bad for you in general. Colas in particular have been linked to kidney stones.

I actually gave up soda years ago. You'd be surprised how little I miss it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 4:13pm

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about carbonated water? Is that bad for you?
    I'm curious.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 4:51pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nomamao
    What about carbonated water? Is that bad for you?
    I'm curious.
    Are you talking about just plain carbonated water or the sparkling flavored water stuff?

ˇViva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 7:31am

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm pretty sure he's talking about club soda and/or mineral water (aka, perrier)
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 11:33am

Style: Hung Ga Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Perrier and the like.

Seltzer water.

if that's really going to rot me out, I'd like to know, because I've grown fond of the stuff. I drink about a liter bottle a day, with tea or alone.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast