Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 4:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Anyways...My suggestion is to don't kick when someone is punching you. It's easy to just take someones kick and knock their head off. Unless you're a real badass kicker then you're probably not going to win a fight with kicks so they're mostly good for points.

But they're only good for points if you're not eating 2-3 punches for every kick you throw.
    Duly noted. I think he felt the leg kicks, as he kept checking his thighs all evening :D but leading with the kicks and letting him destroy my handsome face was certainly not worth it.

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 4:10am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well done for getting in there and actually fighting mate.
    (i think some poeple have been a little too critical considering they hav'nt gone in and done it themselves)

Like some people said you need to work on your technical skills (but then again so do most of us) but i think you did fairly well.

Just keep training and you'll improve.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 4:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang

My question was basically how many times a week do you do skill training (mma) and how long (months) you've been training mma for. I want to start training mma after i hit 5 ammy wins so it'd be good to get a perspective of mma amateur skill levels.
    Train for skill? I spar for about a few hours for one day every few months if im lucky. Once a month if I'm super lucky. So, thats two years... looking at about 15 to 18 sparring sessions in the last 24 months.

shadow boxing is part of my regular workout/warmup, I love the Bas Rutten boxing/thai/allround fighting tapes. That is barely skill training though. and I need a decent stand up bag to beat on.

My ground game has been following about the same until about a two months ago, I've started rolling once a week with some guys who have a lot more skill than I do, and I'm continually improving. I am definitely hitting them up for work on guardpassing this week.

I doubt I'm much use for your skill estimation though... My skill training is far too sporadic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 6:35am

Style: Arnis, BJJ, Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by murderethic
    This is Kentucky. The state just took over MMA regulation on July 15 of this year, and the rules are here. Pretty standard stuff. No elbows to the head, No knees thrown to an opponent in 3 point stance, no knees to the head on the ground, no head kicks or stomps on grounded opponents, gloves are 6 to 8 oz, and you can only use the gloves provided by the promoter...
    there goes my advice.

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 7:01am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hehe your crazy :P. That little training before a fight, most people i know train 5+days a week for months leading up to their debuts. Pretty tough to make the training sessions if you are working weird shifts but maybe you can find a gym which has hours to suit you?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 7:12am

Style: Arnis, BJJ, Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Hehe your crazy :P. That little training before a fight, most people i know train 5+days a week for months leading up to their debuts. Pretty tough to make the training sessions if you are working weird shifts but maybe you can find a gym which has hours to suit you?
    i know but wasn't sure of the rules because some places allow the knees and elbow strikes to the head, but now i know my advice for this guy is close to useless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 1:04pm

Style: MuayThai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, I gotta give you mad props for getting in there. Most people don't have the courage to see it through.

However, I have an issue with your definition of "amateur"....

1 : devotee, admirer
    2 : one who engages in a pursuit, study, science, or sport as a pastime rather than as a profession
    3 : one lacking in experience and competence in an art or science
    I'm sorry, while on some levels this is not wrong, it fails to take the bigger picture into account. (definition #2 is pretty close, though) There are a lot of sports out there that you could apply your definition of "amateur" to, but FIGHTING is not one of them! If you are working 60 hour weeks and don't have time to train, you should NOT be getting into the ring. Obviously MMA is a pasttime or hobby for you, but you can't assume that your opponent shares your view.

To quote my boxing coach....

"You play basketball. You play baseball. You play football. You don't play boxing!"

Simply change the word "boxing" to MMA, MuayThai, Kickboxing, etc.... It doesn't matter. Fighting is NOT a game! More and more, in the world of Combat Sports the only real difference between amateurs and pros is that the pros get a "purse". But regardless of your professional or amateur status, you are agreeing to step onto the mat or into a ring/cage and fight someone who will be fighting back with bad intentions. It would be NEGLIGENT on your part to fight without being properly prepared.
    Last edited by Khun Kao; 8/01/2008 1:08pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 1:07pm

Style: muaythai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good job getting in the ring dude. It takes a fair amount of courage.

As you know, you need to train more prior to your next fight. Sparring is key.

Good luck :)

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 1:20pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Khun Kao
    I'm sorry, while on some levels this is not wrong, it fails to take the bigger picture into account. (definition #2 is pretty close, though) There are a lot of sports out there that you could apply your definition of "amateur" to, but FIGHTING is not one of them! If you are working 60 hour weeks and don't have time to train, you should NOT be getting into the ring. Obviously MMA is a pasttime or hobby for you, but you can't assume that your opponent shares your view.

"You play basketball. You play baseball. You play football. You don't play boxing!"

Simply change the word "boxing" to MMA, MuayThai, Kickboxing, etc.... It doesn't matter. Fighting is NOT a game! More and more, in the world of Combat Sports the only real difference between amateurs and pros is that the pros get a "purse". But regardless of your professional or amateur status, you are agreeing to step onto the mat or into a ring/cage and fight someone who will be fighting back with bad intentions. It would be NEGLIGENT on your part to fight without being properly prepared.

Yep....I saw a guy get his heart stopped in an amateur kickboxing match (at a tournment no less, where they're real quick to stop things for safety) they had a defibrillator on scene but that's the only reason that kids not a goner.

**** happens and like Khun Kao says there are bad intentions behind everything. Just because I'm trying to break your jaw or give you a concussion in the spirit of sportsmanship and competition doesnt mean I'm not trying to genuinely **** you up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 2:58pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    However, I have an issue with your definition of "amateur".....
    lol Take it up with webster
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/contact.htm

Im sorry your coach may be able to kick my asshole off, but thats a dumb quote.
    You dont play "Bowling" (I quess that means that **** is dangerous.:cwm10: ), Nor do people play free style BMX, and those have amateur devisions. I could name more.

That quote reminds me of one of the dumbist quotes i have ever heard
    - "When it comes to God -- its like this, millions of people love rice and millions of people cant be wrong"

Actually if you wanna look at danger
    "A lot of people would expect to see boxing at the top of the list because it involves two grown men pummelling each other and deaths in the sport are high profile. But just because many find the sport unedifying it is always well down on the list of most dangerous sports.

One survey had it down as 53rd most risky while another claimed it was as high as 29th. Boxing detractors will point out, however, that the damage can be cumulative rather than immediate."
    (http://www.theanswerbank.co.uk/Article3108.html)

Fighting is NOT a game!
    True, but if your fighting with rules and regulations it is a game.

the only real difference between amateurs and pros is that the pros get a "purse".
    someone needs to tell that to these guys, because they dont have a fucking clue.
    YouTube - Toughman 2007 - Round 1

I gotta give you mad props for getting in there. Most people don't have the courage to see it through.
    I will agree with you on this one.:icon_thum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast