Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 2:13am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Panda
    The most specific thing I noticed was that you were leading with your kicks a lot, and you were getting drilled for it consistently. That's what finished you in the 2nd round too. Lead with the jab instead to set up those kicks.

...make sure you're using head movement, footwork, and parries to defend yourself, not the gloves...

The strength difference was obviously a huge factor. You absolutely cannot come into a fight with extra weight on you. Most people in the amateurs don't have the technique and experience to balance out a strength disadvantage, so it's even more crucial in lower levels of competition I think. Spend some time with the weights and drop to 185 next time, that'll improve your chances dramatically.

By the way...damn. You took some serious shots. Props for lasting past the first round.
    Thank you for the advice. I'm really going to work on the combos. I don't know why I froze up so hard, but I intend to make sure it never happens again.

I do seem too flat footed in the cage. I move like Im the bigger guy. and those wide haymaker hooks stopped me from effective parrying. I think he threw one straight maybe. Any good tips on defending against the hook like that?

And Im definitely gonna drop a weight class, one way or another (amputation maybe) I'm starting the 5x5 strength program as soon as I'm cleared to squat more than my bodyweight.

And thanks for the props, I was hoping to go all three rounds with the beast, but I kept opening myself up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 8:15am

Style: Arnis, BJJ, Judo (noob)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by murderethic

I do seem too flat footed in the cage. I move like Im the bigger guy. and those wide haymaker hooks stopped me from effective parrying. I think he threw one straight maybe. Any good tips on defending against the hook like that?

haymakers are easy to defend against, in fact i would actually say your opponent is an idiot to do that as it left him completely open. This is what i personally would have done when he started to throw the haymakers are to block and move in and throw a few quick jabs at his head then quickly follwed with a hook or i would have gone for aiming at his ribs to get him to try and cover himself and them gone with an elbow strike to the back of his head, but that's just me it's not perfect technique but it works well enough for me.

With the hooks i usally use a slap block or a palm up block. With the slap block i side step and attack them from a diffrent angle. With the palm up block it's usally followed with with a punch but those are more WC moves and it's pretty much how i use them.

Yea that's the advice i can give you probably better off listening to someone more experienced but i hope what i've said does help you a bit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 10:02am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stop beating yourself down! You had the courage to get into the octagon. What did you do well during that fight? Seriously, you need to think about it yourself. I'm sure you'll come up with many answers. Focus on what you're good at. It'll keep your training more focused and you'll be more confident in the octagon the next time you fight. Don't think of this fight as a loss. It was more of a learning experience. Remember training/fighting is about improving YOURSELF not your record.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 3:01pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And Im definitely gonna drop a weight class, one way or another (amputation maybe) I'm starting the 5x5 strength program as soon as I'm cleared to squat more than my bodyweight.
    Maybe you should focus more on roadwork ... especially interval training.

IMHO this very short article is a must read for you.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...ditioning.html

Here's a test/measure from the same author:
    Most boxers should be able to maintain a 6 or 7-minute per mile pace, depending on the distance of the run. I like to see all fighters run 2-miles in 12 minutes or less. This is a good measure of fitness.
    http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym1.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 3:17pm

Style: Catch as Catch Can

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Id work on your jump kicks :P

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 5:35pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What state is that? Those are cool amateur rules!

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    7/31/2008 11:46pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Until this recent GA ammy MMA rules faggotry pretty much all the MMA orgs I fought in allowed full UFC rules for amateurs with 4ounce gloves.

Anyways...My suggestion is to don't kick when someone is punching you. It's easy to just take someones kick and knock their head off. Unless you're a real badass kicker then you're probably not going to win a fight with kicks so they're mostly good for points.

But they're only good for points if you're not eating 2-3 punches for every kick you throw.

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 12:31am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Train? for this fight? Umm. I didn't really. Can ya tell?! lol

Honestly I work full-time, around 60 hours a week or more, on a 3rd shift schedule. I only get to roll for a few hours each weekend, and I have about an hour and a half a day I get to work out. I rest on Saturday.

The last time I sparred was...... march? yeah. march 31st. I'll see if I can post some vids of that sometime, as I didn't look so weak.

As far as my background goes I wont go into that here... you can search the forums for all 2 of my threads and find my intro post in newbietown for that :D

Good luck on that fight!
    90 minutes a day is plenty of time to workout, if you train smart and use that time well you could drop down to 185 within 6 months. You don't need to be told what you did wrong, not enough sparring :), I spar 30mins a day and don't feel it is enough.

My question was basically how many times a week do you do skill training (mma) and how long (months) you've been training mma for. I want to start training mma after i hit 5 ammy wins so it'd be good to get a perspective of mma amateur skill levels.

Just googled those GA Amateur rules, doesn't look like much fun. Heavier gloves and shinpads, what is the point of even having strikes allowed? I could see the whole competition being dominated by pure grapplers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 3:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    Maybe you should focus more on roadwork ... especially interval training.

IMHO this very short article is a must read for you.

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles...ditioning.html

Here's a test/measure from the same author:

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym1.htm
    Yeah, I'm a fan of HIIT. Thats how I dropped to 200 in the first place. I'm familiar with a lot of Ross's training methods. ATM I've got nearly a 7 minute mile, I can knock out two in 15 minutes. My sprints need work though. After about 20 seconds full out I still need about 30 seconds light jogging before I can get myself to go flat out again. I'm not real concerned with my running speed right now... It isn't like I can outrace my opponent in the cage

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 4:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    What state is that? Those are cool amateur rules!
    This is Kentucky. The state just took over MMA regulation on July 15 of this year, and the rules are here. Pretty standard stuff. No elbows to the head, No knees thrown to an opponent in 3 point stance, no knees to the head on the ground, no head kicks or stomps on grounded opponents, gloves are 6 to 8 oz, and you can only use the gloves provided by the promoter...
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast