Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 10:07pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lots of great advice here. I would also add a few things. (1) Know your motivation inside and out. Think about it daily. (2) Don't deprive yourself completely or you will give up quickly. Follow the above advice with a little wiggle room for you absolute favorite empty calories. (3) Do some exercise that you really enjoy. Screw the treadmills and machines and ****. Have fun. Play games. (I see you already do that, so maybe you ignore my 3rd point)

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 10:24am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate,kickbox,jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    probably sounds crazy but now i am an executive sitting on my ass for 10-12 hrs a day at this computer. man do i miss being a garbage man picking up 15-20 tons a day by hand (two man truck) in vegas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 10:50am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am roughly the same size as you. Maybe I am built a little differently, but I do not feel that I am too heavy. I do however feel that it would be easier in ground fighting if I were around 205, so I have recently cut out sugar from my diet and started eating a light lunch (almost exclusively salad with a couple of hard boiled eggs). I don't expect to be ripped any tme soon, but simple things like this combined with training three times a week has had an effect on my waistline (in ~ the last 6 weeks).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 10:51am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I also have a desk job.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by studentoftheart
    Ok I'm 6ft and about 240lbs. Here's the deal. I don't understand diets! I once had a nutritionist put me on a mass diet and it worked wonders until I couldnt afford it anymore. I was huge but now (two years without training) the huge is carried in a different way. When I look at the nutritional facts on food products it's like trying to read another language. I am going back to training but I am so heavy at this point. Of course with the weight comes the lower self esteem and the feeling of uncertainty. Sorry to vent. I just need someone to tell me what to eat and I'm alright.
    No, you won't be allright. For as long as you rely on people telling you what to eat, you won't be allright. Put the effort to learn how to control your nutrition. Everything you are asking for is already documented in the sticky thread (which is visible at the top of the threads listed in the PT forum here

I want so much to be comfortable with taking my shirt off at the beach again. Can anyone help.
    Yes. You.

You came to the right place to find the information you need, but we expect you to do your due diligence and do your homework. Please see and study the nutrition links on the sticky thread. If you have questions AFTER reading the nutrition links, please let us know.

Also I'm the type of guy that once I start training I usually go way to hard and end up in the hospital for something that i did to myself. Any info would be great and i thank you in advance.
    You can start by trying to be a bit more intelligent. Don't take it as an insult. We have all being there, done that, gone too far when we knew better we should not have in the first place. It happens. But being that kind of guy all the time without ever taking the steps to learn from it is just not cool dude.

So the best advice for you would be: don't be that guy.

To reiterate, study the nutrition links on the sticky thread. We have the information you need, and we put the onus on you to study the information. If you have any questions while you work your way towards towards nutrition and training independence, let us know.

:book1:
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/29/2008 11:33am at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 11:31am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 5:35pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    No, you won't be allright. For as long as you rely on people telling you what to eat, you won't be allright. Put the effort to learn how to control your nutrition. Everything you are asking for is already documented in the sticky thread (which is visible at the top of the threads listed in the PT forum here

Yes. You.

You came to the right place to find the information you need, but we expect you to do your due diligence and do your homework. Please see and study the nutrition links on the sticky thread. If you have questions AFTER reading the nutrition links, please let us know.

You can start by trying to be a bit more intelligent. Don't take it as an insult. We have all being there, done that, gone too far when we knew better we should not have in the first place. It happens. But being that kind of guy all the time without ever taking the steps to learn from it is just not cool dude.

So the best advice for you would be: don't be that guy.

To reiterate, study the nutrition links on the sticky thread. We have the information you need, and we put the onus on you to study the information. If you have any questions while you work your way towards towards nutrition and training independence, let us know.

:book1:
    i most certainly will and know that i aprreciate all. evidently sugar coating is not good nutrition so thanks for not giving me artificial ingredients *bows*
    Last edited by studentoftheart; 7/29/2008 6:07pm at .

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 6:06pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

i found this under "martial arts food pyramid". this is going on my fridge

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 9:52pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    re: the food pyramid, I would move grains up a level and lean meat/fish/etc down a level, especially given your athletic endeavors. And where it says "preferably whole grains" substitute "only whole grains." But look into it yourself, because I'm spouting the residue from dozens of half-remembered sources and I really don't have time to post citations - because then I would be moving from brief procrastination to self-destructive neglect of my career. (edit: by that I mean I have a bunch of cases I must bill tonight and I probably won't get any sleep at all.)

And if I remember right, the above pyramid is better than the previous pyramid they foisted on us for all those years which had grain as the foundation tier - and not even whole grain! I blame the big agro lobby and the politicians they patronize for that debacle.
    Last edited by Little Lamb; 7/29/2008 9:57pm at .

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 1:05am

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And if I remember right, the above pyramid is better than the previous pyramid they foisted on us for all those years which had grain as the foundation tier - and not even whole grain! I blame the big agro lobby and the politicians they patronize for that debacle.
    I could go on for literally hours on what kind of involvement the food industry had with government standards on diet and nutrition. It'd be mostly based on Marion Nestle's "Food Politics", and it would get very boring very quickly unless the idea that crappy diet advice was being promoted as "the best diet for Americans" gets you pissed off.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast