Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 5:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate,kickbox,jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

diet help

Ok I'm 6ft and about 240lbs. Here's the deal. I don't understand diets! I once had a nutritionist put me on a mass diet and it worked wonders until I couldnt afford it anymore. I was huge but now (two years without training) the huge is carried in a different way. When I look at the nutritional facts on food products it's like trying to read another language. I am going back to training but I am so heavy at this point. Of course with the weight comes the lower self esteem and the feeling of uncertainty. Sorry to vent. I just need someone to tell me what to eat and I'm alright. I want so much to be comfortable with taking my shirt off at the beach again. Can anyone help.

Also I'm the type of guy that once I start training I usually go way to hard and end up in the hospital for something that i did to myself. Any info would be great and i thank you in advance.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by studentoftheart
    Ok I'm 6ft and about 240lbs. Here's the deal. I don't understand diets! I once had a nutritionist put me on a mass diet and it worked wonders until I couldnt afford it anymore. I was huge but now (two years without training) the huge is carried in a different way. When I look at the nutritional facts on food products it's like trying to read another language. I am going back to training but I am so heavy at this point. Of course with the weight comes the lower self esteem and the feeling of uncertainty. Sorry to vent. I just need someone to tell me what to eat and I'm alright. I want so much to be comfortable with taking my shirt off at the beach again. Can anyone help.

Also I'm the type of guy that once I start training I usually go way to hard and end up in the hospital for something that i did to myself. Any info would be great and i thank you in advance.
    Reading this reminded me of the old adage, "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach him to fish and you feed him for a lifetime." Honestly, the most proactive thing you can possibly due would be to get an understanding of nutrition and take steps to understand how your eating habits are affecting your body. If you don't want to do all the leg work, then hire a nutritionist to get you set up on a diet plan or see if your doctor has any sort of reduced calorie meal plan you could try out.

No one here is going to do your work for you (unless your willing to pay), so take steps to help yourself out and learn what you don't understand. There are lot of very good, basic nutrition books out there, just make sure they are not some fad diet.

PS- check out this sticky post, it's got losts of info for you

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61083

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 6:29pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    General advice:

Eat whole wheat grain products
    Eat beans, lentils, and other legumes
    Eat fruits
    Eat veggies
    Eat lean meats, poultry, and fish.
    Try to avoid or limit sugars, high-fat foods like cheese and whole-milk, and oils. A little in your food for flavor is good.

Eat as much fruit and veggies as you want.

Try to aim for 40% of your calories from carbs, and 30% each from protein and fat. Make sure it's good quality carbs/proteins/fats, like salmon, chicken breasts, and whole wheat pasta/bread.

As for overtraining and your stated low self-esteem, there's a possibility that your overexercise could be related to an eating disorder.

I want so much to be comfortable with taking my shirt off at the beach again.
    It's more common for men than women to try to restrict calories through exercise rather than diet, but it can also happen in conjunction with one another.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 6:33pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys much appreciated

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 6:46pm

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Try the following software. It makes diet tracking and analysis easy.

http://www.dietpower.com/

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 6:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again thank you all

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 6:53pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by muddy
    Try the following software. It makes diet tracking and analysis easy.

http://www.dietpower.com/
    In the same regards there is also Fitday which lets you maintain a free online log of your eating, weight, exercise, etc. Not a bad little set up

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 7:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am downloading diet power right now thanks

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 7:14pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    started a fit day account also. thank you thank you

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 8:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just need someone to tell me what to eat and I'm alright.
    I don't mean to get down on you, but are you sure you want to be reliant on other people for this? Learning about nutrition is fairly involved, especially if you don't have a background in biology or chemistry, but it'd allow you to take your fate into your own hands.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast