Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:17am

Style: Beginners Sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Aikido and Conflict Resolution

I work for the Student Life office of my college, and so I have had to sit through various conflict resolution and mediation training sessions. In addition to this, I have taken a class on Conflict and It's Resolution and others that touch on the same subject. What keeps getting at me is the fact that so many of the authors on these subjects keep referencing their techniques as "verbal Aikido."
    According to them, they take the principles of nonconfrontation and using their oponent's strength and blah blah blah, which make Aikido such a great and effective martial art, and apply it to the way they deal with verbal confrontations.
    I was wondering if others had heard of this as well, and get annoyed by it. Many Bullshido members believe Aikido tends to fail at physical efficacy, so what about the principles being applied to verbal confrontations.
    I'm going into another training in less than a month, and I know "verbal Aikido" will be mentioned, and I'm considering engaging in some verbal Muay Thai with the instructor when it does and calling him out on what I consider bullshit. Maybe the verbal technique works, but as far as I am concerned, the martial art sucks, so they should stop exhorting its value in their seminars. A quick Google search revealed these links:

http://www.bodymindandmodem.com/Daily/conflict.html
    http://www.dctkd.org/bibliography/re....cfm?pubID=582
    http://www.systemiccoaching.com/verbal_aikido.htm
    http://top7business.com/?id=2650

*Couldn't really think of what the appropriate forum for this would be, if it isn't YMAS, please move it mods.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's just stupid.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:38am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude, if you actually go off on this instructor, you're a fucking idiot and an asshole and deserve to be buttraped.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:40am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to post again, just so I can convey with proper efficacy what an idiot you are. The fact that you even consider this to be an issue worth raising tells me that you're going to be a fucking twatwad when it comes to mediation & conflict resolution.

If you can't grasp the logical paradox of your action, you need to sign up for actual Aikido lessons instead of verbal ones.

Seriously, go **** yourself.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    /arguing with a college prof/instructor =/= good idea.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:48am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've read a couple of books along these lines. The original in this genre, and IMO the best, is called "Verbal Judo" and was written by a guy who is a professor of linguistics, a former LAPD patrol cop and a karate and judo black belt. It's actually an excellent guide to verbal conflict resolution with a minimum of BS.

To be fair, it's pretty obvious that "verbal aikido" is just a metaphor for a particular strategy in conflict resolution rather than a literal endorsement of aikido as physical self defense training.

I love the idea of "verbal muay Thai", though. That would be a much shorter book, and probably a more enjoyable seminar.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My mom did the verbal MT to us kids. She wasn't scared to whack us upside the head when we needed it. Which was all the time.

"Just as you must toughen your shins in MT, you must toughen your vocal cords for Verbal MT."
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 12:04pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I've heard "verbal Judo" many times, but never "verbal Aikido."

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 12:07pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My Mom did verbal Kali. Then she'd grab a wooden spoon and do literal Kali on us.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 12:08pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the avatar, jkd, but you're an asshole. I'm stuck here at work and your flashing big old titties in my face...

How the hell am I supposed to get jizz off my computer screen? Huh?!

Riddle me that, bitch.

To the OP: What the hell ever, man. Get over it. Like Errant said, interrupting the professor to mention how ineffective aikido is as a martial art is entirely beside the point.

Verbal Judo sounds better, but watchu gonna do?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast