Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 10:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Staph - prevention & early stages

I just read the two major threads on staph (What the _uck is growing in my _ucking leg???? - No BS Martial Arts and http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...aph+infection), after talking with my gf (who has had recurring MRSA in the past) about a weird pimple on my thigh, and one on my elbow that just went away.

I've been getting them for a while--usually they go away on their own, and this one is no different....but the consensus among me (the grappler/karateka), the gf (experience w/MRSA), my dad (general practitioner) and my mom (physician's assistant) is that it's recurring, not-serious-yet staph. Since I just chatted with them about it at home, my dad got me a small amount of the powerful skin washes.

My question is, when it's not becoming serious, but is just happening at the weird-non-pimples level...how do I prevent it from getting more serious?

The consensus I saw on the other thread (p15) was:

• Use antibacterial soap, especially after training
    • Don't let your skin get dried out -- moisturize
    • Use a pot sponge with circular motions to avoid ingrown hairs
    • If it gets big, see a doctor immediately
    • At the doc, get a culture and antibiotics
    • Wash your farking gi

Did I miss anything? What are my odds once on this regime?

Thanks in advance.

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 11:18am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think I may indeed just switch to standup for a while. The question is, how do I treat it so that my time off rolling is well spent vis-a-vis healing?

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 12:04pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should really ask a doctor, but AFAIK, getting regular staph infections has nothing to do with getting MRSA. Your regular pimply things don't transform to MRSA sores because you roll. If they are going to be MRSA, they already are.

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 12:38pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy
    You should really ask a doctor, but AFAIK, getting regular staph infections has nothing to do with getting MRSA. Your regular pimply things don't transform to MRSA sores because you roll. If they are going to be MRSA, they already are.
    That makes sense. But of course we're just hypothesizing. Maybe if I take antibiotics for something else (like I did for appendicitis recently), it could change to MRSA? Unlikely but possible.

Really, I'm not worried about them turning into MRSA. I'm worried that the regular staph will turn into real golf-ball-sized sores.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 12:54pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To your list add the following:

1. Give yourself a full-body surgical scrub with Hibiclens every once in a while if you are in an environment that is conductive to staph (get the full body scrub once a day for several days while you have or are recovering from staph.)

2. Wash and rewash your bed sheets, towels, pillow cases with hot water, bleach and borox.

3. In case of recurrent infections, get brand new bed sheets, towels, pillow cases. Get new shaving blades, razors, nail clippers and twizzers.

4. Use an anti-microbial hand sanitizer on your face, hands, forearms and feet after grappling.

5. Consider using tree tea oil as a skin moisturizer - it's a potent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent, great for ingrowth hairs and pimples.

6. Never pop pimples. If you do, nuke the **** out of it with iodine and cover it immediately with liquid band-aid.

7. Use liquid bandaid in all cuts, bruises and abrasions.

I guess that's it. If people think you are overdoing it with all of this, ****'em. They don't have to deal with the staph, you do.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/27/2008 12:57pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 1:26pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    To your list add the following:

1. Give yourself a full-body surgical scrub with Hibiclens every once in a while if you are in an environment that is conductive to staph (get the full body scrub once a day for several days while you have or are recovering from staph.)

2. Wash and rewash your bed sheets, towels, pillow cases with hot water, bleach and borox.

3. In case of recurrent infections, get brand new bed sheets, towels, pillow cases. Get new shaving blades, razors, nail clippers and twizzers.

4. Use an anti-microbial hand sanitizer on your face, hands, forearms and feet after grappling.

5. Consider using tree tea oil as a skin moisturizer - it's a potent anti-bacterial and anti-fungal agent, great for ingrowth hairs and pimples.

6. Never pop pimples. If you do, nuke the **** out of it with iodine and cover it immediately with liquid band-aid.

7. Use liquid bandaid in all cuts, bruises and abrasions.

I guess that's it. If people think you are overdoing it with all of this, ****'em. They don't have to deal with the staph, you do.
    You, sir, are the man. I was hoping you'd swoop in. This goes exactly in line with what my-father-the-doc and my-gf-the-MRSA-experienced recommended.

The new razors is going to piss me off...so I guess I just won't shave for a few months. MY EPIC BEARD SHALL RIDE AGAIN

EDIT: "goes exactly in line with" should be appended with "and offers much more specifically helpful detail"
    Last edited by 1point2; 7/27/2008 1:30pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 10:27pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get something like staphaseptic too man, I use that after every shower, takes like 2-3 minutes but I put a dab on every red spot/sting spot.

Wash ASAP when you get back fron training, wash your gear every friggin time, lysol your gloves/cup all that (lysol kills staph/MRSA too, but not so good on cuts ;p). I also wear a long-sleeve rashguard every time I roll, I have like 6 and rotate them, wash with shorts/jock/hand-wraps on hot etc. 102 in the gym, I'm wearing the rashguard and a tee shirt.

Get a routine down and stick to it.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 7:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DSL
    Get a routine down and stick to it.
    This bears repeating. No method will work if done half the time. Routines are key.