Sponsored Links Spacer Image

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 1:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not to derail, but the last time I tried to do front squats, they wound up becoming Zerchers. How do you guys avoid strangling yourselves with the barbell?

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 10:03am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Pulled from My 8 Week Fight Prep - No BS Martial Arts

I thought the topic is good enough to be in its own thread. The tip is to keep the bar in the cravice of your shoulders; I have some pictures explaining how to place the bar in place, but I gotta run for now. I'll be back later.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 11:03am

Style: TKD, Wrestling (retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found the same problem when I tried to do them the "easy" way by crossing my arms over the bar. Once I forced myself to get enough wrist flexibility to squat with a legal olympic hold, I found it to be easier to keep the bar in the groove.

For example:

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 12:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hands crossed high on your chest -fingers over your clavicles-like you're going to be buried at sea. Once you get your body positioning/balance/leg-drive et al, then you can add on hand grips

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 5:01pm

Style: Panda Punch

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just do it like the Oly lifters do. If you feel like your wrists are going to break, you probably don't have your elbows high enough.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 5:52pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I cross my arms, with my elbows up. Like this chick:

it gives me just enough space to breathe and I don't have to worry about limp-wrist strength when I'm doing 225+
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 5:24pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a related note, I'm completely unable to achieve a proper power clean grip for either cleans or front squats. I've tried tricep/wrist stretching but I wonder if having shorter meatier arms makes it more difficult.

Also, I know the bar is supposed to rest on my shoulders, but inevitably it feels like it's going to crack my clavicle. What am I doing wrong here?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 5:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitparity
    Also, I know the bar is supposed to rest on my shoulders, but inevitably it feels like it's going to crack my clavicle. What am I doing wrong here?
    I don't know since I can't see you, but I'm willing to bet you just need to get your elbows higher. Seriously, that fixes a lot of the problems that people have with it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 5:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got some pictures of my current front squat form.

Notes:
    -the lawn wasn't flat left-to-right
    -I don't actually use that barbell for anything
    -stop looking at my butt and/or junk

-I can't get my elbows up any further without jamming the bar into my throat
    -When I squat, my torso tilts forward and, as a consequence, so do my arms
    -The contact between calf and hamstring is a hard limit on how far my knee can flex without hyperextending (see this)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 6:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your problem is the way that you're descending. You're leaning forward like a normal parallel squat, and that's not gonna work with front squats. You want to keep your back as upright as possible and squat straight down rather than sitting back. Angling your feet out slightly will help as well.

Try squatting all the way down (without the bar) like a Hindu squat, but with your heels planted. If you can do that comfortably, you should be able to do front squats fine.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast