Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 5:37am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Judo - Crappler!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fought like crap in tourny... happend to anyone else

Fought in queensland titles today. Fought terribly. My technique that i had rehearsed went straight out the window, i was too scared to open my guard (and i usually play de la riva guard) or half guard. I didnt focus on my strengths and as a result i lost up against people i didnt think i should have.

Has anyone else had the problem of going into a comp and seizing up and playing stupid **** they know they shouldnt. In my head i am thinking that i usually do what i attempt to do at local comps, but seeing as this was a big comp there was alot more pressure. Anyone else with a similar story or problem and how to overcome it. I was thinking maybe getting a quickie from the girlfriend before the fight to relax me, but nothing else really comes to mind.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 7:28am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    only about 100% of competitors go through this. Took me about 5 tourneys to relax and play my game (and miraculously start having much better results).

You'll be fine, just get used to the adrenaline rush of competing (GSP says get the butterflies to fly in formation or some such silly stuff).

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 7:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man, **** happens. The only thing that can overcome that is: train, train, train. That is why you want to go to as many competitions as you can(if that is your thing). There is no training like going to an actual competition. Chalk that up to a good learning experience. Now you know for next time. And now you know how much more training you need to do in the gym. If all the training you have done so far hasn't been ingrained into muscle memory, then you need to train twice as much.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by diesel_tke
    Hey man, **** happens. The only thing that can overcome that is: train, train, train. That is why you want to go to as many competitions as you can(if that is your thing). There is no training like going to an actual competition. Chalk that up to a good learning experience. Now you know for next time. And now you know how much more training you need to do in the gym. If all the training you have done so far hasn't been ingrained into muscle memory, then you need to train twice as much.
    Agreed. I tended to avoid competiitions because I always get to tense/stressed and grapple much mre poorly then I really can. The only cure is to compete more and try to have more fun with it.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 1:47pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I shoulda whipped ass at this tournament (it was my second one) got nervous cause my girlfriend and family was watching and lost. It happens I do best when I go to tournaments by myself and nobody there knows me, no pressure to perform. Also if you try viewing it as not important and just another day of training it helps me calm down.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 8:02pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Judo - Crappler!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers guys, that actually made a lot of sense. Thanks for the insight and support.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 9:36pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had my first ever tournament today (Judo). I held my own standing, but as soon as my fights went to the ground I immediately thought "Oh ****, I'm on the ground" instead of thinking about what I should be doing technique-wise. Not surprisingly, I lost my first match by pin and the second by choke.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 11:28am

Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    krone,

It happens to everybody. I've frozen up at bad moments before, as we all have. You just have to be used to competing or find a comfort level that works for you. With me, it's not hard since I've been wrestling since I was 8 and I'm almost 40 now. By the time I was 10 I pretty much had it figured out to the point of being routine. Some helpful things I do/did to to keep myself distracted from what was going on:

-Get in a hard warmup an hour before you compete. Roll hard with someone, make sure you break a good sweat and then do a VERY light warmup 10-15 minutes before. You'll be more prepared for what lies ahead.

-Drill technique lightly but watch your breathing. Make sure you're taking consistent breaths, and not holding any.

-During the match do not pay attention to anything else. Just clear your mind basically. Just try to imagine yourself in the gym at practice and that's what you're doing. We've all been in those positions thousands of times, it's nothing new. React and act the way you would in practice, that's why you do it.

-Don't psyche yourself out. I see this with younger kids and in high school a lot. Kids get all amped up to wrestle, and try to steamroll someone in the first period, and when they don't, and their opponent hangs in they panic and lose composure. You can't panic one way or another. Be aware of the score if it's close, but if it becomes a shootout points wise, forget it and go for the submission. I had some matches in high school and college that were like that, in fact my state finals match as a senior in high school was like that. I was losing 11-6 entering the 3rd period and wound up winning the match (and a state championship) 12-11. Just didn't panic and did everything I'd practiced. It also helped I had a bottomless gas tank. I would have liked to get a pin, or win by more than 1 lousy point but..I'll take it.

-Mental edge, you just have to be confident in what you're doing that you can overcome anything in your way. Like how I was behind entering the 3rd period of my last high school match ever. I knew what was going to happen, I knew I was going to win. Not "thought", but knew it would happen. I put myself in a position to win. Years later I was conversing with a coach who knew my high school coach and he was saying he remembered a kid from my school who was down big going into the 3rd period in the state finals and someone next to him said the match was over and he told the guy "Watch the kid from PV (my school) is gonna win this one," and sure enough I did. Unless you tap out or in my case get pinned, you've always got a chance to win. Never let that thought leave you, if you're down 20-0 and behind on advantage, but there's 30 seconds, you got 30 seconds to win. He has to avoid you for that long so be fearless.

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 12:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Has happened to me plenty of times. It's a combination of things... probably you're nervous you won't do well and you'll forget things (which causes you do not do well and forget things :) ) also your brain knows you can get hurt doing what you're doing and sometimes you just kick into a survival mode and lock up. As I said it happens to all of us. Through experience it will get better, i don't think it ever completely goes away though.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/07/2008 8:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, the only solution is to compete more. My competition record is a crappy 6-10 with the vast majority of losses coming in my first 3-4 tourneys as a result of trying stupid **** and not sticking with my strengths.

Think of the first day you stepped on the mat in class; you were nervous and spazzed a bit because you didn't know what to expect. Now, you're probably more comfortable and roll with a bit more confidence and control. Tournament are the same animal and you'll only get more comfortable by competing more.

Good luck.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast