Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 3:19pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shotokan Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wind In the Pines Karate Academy

I teach a small class of 12 students, ages 5 to 16. I teach the fundamental stances, blocks and strike of Shotokan; throws/takedowns and grappling (learned in Judo/Jujutsu), pressure points (primarily learned in Law Enforcement Pressure Point Control Tactics [PPCT]), sparring (without any pads), kata, board breaking, and the history and philosophy of Shotokan Karate. Also taught is important moral lessons, such as avoidance of violence, saying no to drugs/alcohol, and that it is wrong for a boy/man to hit a girl/woman, and vise-versa. I teach fairly practical techniques and methods, and I explain to my students which methods are not practical for self defense purposes. However, I do not teach "tournament" style Karate, nor is it classified as "combat" Karate. I allow my students to spar without pads, because I want them to learn control and proper form while sparring. Strikes are excercised with control, and targets such as face and groin are prohibited. I later will combine the strike sparring with the grappling.
    Last edited by wind.pines; 7/28/2008 7:23am at . Reason: Forgot to check Submit

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 3:31pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gah! You forgot to rate your school by the numbers.

Also, under whom did you recieve your blackbelt in shotokan?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 9:54am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, but any school named "Wind in the pines" just doesn't sound serious.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 10:58am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it doesn't. Shotokan translates to "Pine Wave House".... so the only thing I can think of is that they mistranslated that or something.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 7:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My apologies for not clicking the "Submit" botton for the review numbers. Budo Monkey, I received my Black Belt from Master Mike Mason, 6th dan in Shotokan. I believe his Sensei was Grandmaster Futch, but I do not know his first name. We are in Mississippi, if you wish to look it up. And no, the name of my dojo is not a mistranslation. The literal translation of Shotokan is "House of Shoto (Shoto meaning Pine Waves OR Wind through the pines). Naming my dojo in English, "Pine Waves Karate Academy" or "Wind Through the Pines Karate Academy" did not sound good to me, so I called it Wind In the Pines Karate Academy. I named it in honor of Master Funakoshi, who I have a deep respect for. Osu!

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 8:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wind.pines, thanks for putting up the numbers. Please go back to the review forum and find a sticky thread on the top called "How do Aliveness" by goldenjonas. It seems off that you would list your striking instruction at only a 6, but your aliveness an 8. That thread has video examples of what is expected from each numbered grade in the 'aliveness' category. Take a look at them, and raise your striking/lower your aliveness accordingly. Osu!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    8/03/2008 12:10am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um, fill me in on the typical ranking tenants of Shotokan. I was under the impression that Shotokan was a fairly hard style of karate; maybe not so much in the sparring but in the training, i.e., knuckle push-ups on wood floors with dowels between your knuckles.

Now, is it common, or even possible to receive a 6th Dan in Shotokan in 11 years?

Posted On:
    8/05/2008 1:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, however, it says he's a 1st dan, his instructor who promoted him is the 6th dan. (The wording was slightly confusing in your defense.) Whew, thank god.

Seriously though...

Sparring only without pads sounds like pretty much the worst idea ever. You're going to condition students' muscle memory to pull their punches if they ever need to defend themselves and even going light with perfect control on the part of the puncher, unless you're fighting slow motion, it's only a matter of time before someone unexpectedly ducks/rushes face first into a punch they didn't see coming.

My Shotokan instructor also made us spar without gear occaisionally, specifically to develop control (and my control is quite good!), but that wasn't the norm by any stretch of the imagination. I realize you're teaching kids, but still--high school age is a good time to have self-defense skills.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but there's no way your school deserves an 8 for aliveness if you're doing surface contact sparring without pads. Invest in some padded gloves for the sake of your students.

Posted On:
    8/19/2008 3:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice, maofas. I did speak with my Master long before I implemented the idea of sparring without pads, and this was his advice to me: "try it, and as long as they aren't getting seriously injured, go with it." So I tried it and it seems successful to me. At first the kids were scared of sparring without pads, but now they are tough as nails, fearless, and having loads of fun. They beg to spar sometimes! I expect some injuries; maybe a black eye or some bruises. It is, after all, Karate- not chess. Thanks though!