Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 9:48am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well you're not sleeping with him and if it's for a longer while it takes from your conditioning so go for it. This loyalty stuff isnt that important and if your instructor takes it too seriously watch out for that sertan cult behaviour that manifests it self in mc'dojos. And if you do play a crutial role in the dojo/club you shouldnt' leave in order not to disrupt the structure. That's my humble opinion.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 9:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been in charge once when my teacher was gone, he sworn he'd never do that again.
    it was quite emberassing.

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 9:53am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep it hush and don't cause drama, one month away from your usual gym will do you more good than bad. It will give you some experience with different sparring partners, different training methods and something to compare your current school with (if you have only trained at the one place).

What you don't want to do is cause a scene or take other students with you to check out another gym, that will cause drama if you are a regular. Remember that while loyalty to your teacher and gym is important, at the end of the day; your success will translate to their success. If you think taking a month off the current school's temporary teachers will improve your game then you should do it.

I had a similar dilemma, my MT instructor decided to close the gym for a week. Apparently a Buddhist monk was coming from Thailand to bless the gym and my instructor had to look after this man for a week in order to 'get into heaven' (no idea if its true, thats just what he told us). So stuck between not training for a week and trying out another place i went to a different gym every day of that week. Turned out to be the best decision I've made in regards to martial arts, i ended up finding a hungry, fight gym which had a much better facility, more hands on time with instructors, better hours and daily sparring.

You might be already training at one of the best schools around anyway though, but unless you have experienced some of the competition it is hard to tell.
    Last edited by Sang; 7/25/2008 10:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 10:31am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the way i see it is i can train wherever i want. that's my business. i'm not down with this cultish "loyalty" to a school...but then again...we arent much of a family where i train. it's never really felt that way so I have no qualms taking time off from my regular school and training elsewhere. after all..i do get tired of training with the same people. it's nice to change things up.

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 11:21am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dinnerpig
    the way i see it is i can train wherever i want. that's my business. i'm not down with this cultish "loyalty" to a school...but then again...we arent much of a family where i train. it's never really felt that way so I have no qualms taking time off from my regular school and training elsewhere. after all..i do get tired of training with the same people. it's nice to change things up.
    Some schools/teachers have concepts of loyalty and restrictions--or at least etiquette--regarding training elsewhere. If they have the teaching, skill, community, and reciprocal loyalty to you to back it up, then it makes sense.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 12:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    another thing to think about is how active a school is in sport competition.

one reason a coach might not want you to go train at a rival gym would be that it would give their fighters and coaches a chance to spot holes in your game, holes that could be exploited at future competitions.

so for instance going to train at a rival sanda gym might be frowned upon, while going to a judo school, or a boxing gym would be just fine.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 9:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My gym is a pretty tight knit family, but what i really like is the instructors care about you more then your tuition (which is very cheap :p)

They don't care if you train other places/in other styles.

Thats my school, though...

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 11:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My school is tight but we are still welcome to go try other things. I actually think it shows confidence. If you send your students to check out other schools and you are not worried about losing them...

besides like someone said it's training not a cult...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 12:48am

Style: TKD, judo, MT noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist

one reason a coach might not want you to go train at a rival gym would be that it would give their fighters and coaches a chance to spot holes in your game, holes that could be exploited at future competitions.

so for instance going to train at a rival sanda gym might be frowned upon, while going to a judo school, or a boxing gym would be just fine.
    QFT. if u want to train somewhere, train at a school that will suppliment what u are learning, but not suplant it. since you are doing san shou, look into a judo or wrestling gym, or if you do the type of san shou that competes sanda, a kickboxing or mma gym could be a good fit.

so long as it doesnt look to your instructor like you are trying to replace him, u should be fine

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 2:47am

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist

On the whole, I agree with what you've said in this thread but I just want to chime in on this. I think it also depends on the level of competition. My Holliston Judo Club was actually run by a sensei from Newton Judo Club where he tried to get us to crosstrain with other senseis from there as much as possible (they each had a "speciality" for their game, a trait common to many good clubs I find) and then when I started at the Worcester Judo Club which is also competitive in the same tournaments (I actually met one of my classmates at a tourney where we were the only guys in our weight class and had to fight each other 4 times; 3 times in our class and once in the class above when we decided we wanted more play).

The Newton Club doesn't care if I train with the Worcester guys now and crosstraining (especially with a well regarded school) with other Judo Clubs is OK with Worcester Club, tho' a lot of the top class clubs in the area are run by kind of douch-y people so no one really tends to. This year I actually planned on joining the 200 lb+ open session at the Tohoku once a month to get used to fighting big guys more.

But Judo, especially locally, is kind of small and not really intense (unless you're black belt and fighting in the Bay Games or something) so maybe that's just unique to our sport or area.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12