Sponsored Links Spacer Image

blotter art.

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:15pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MA ettequite question.

If your trainer is going to be away for a month or so and subs are replacing him in his regular class, would it be bad manners to train somewhere else while he is gone?

I know this depends entirley on the people in question, but do you guys see that as kosher?

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:21pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From my own point of view, if my students didn't attend the club after I'd gone to the effort of arranging a substitue instructor while I was away, then yeah, I'd consider than bad mannors however, if they informed me before hand and I didn't arrange anything on their behalf then crack on I say.

I suppose you gotta ask yourself "...am I not supporting my instructor and his class if I train elsewhere whilst he's away"
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:21pm

Style: BJJ / freestyle wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, it depends. does he look for or approve of the subs, or are they just guys the club got to fill in for him?

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:23pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How's he going to know? He's not there, right?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:30pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think people would make a big deal of it one way or the other. Go ahead and train elsewhere if you really want to do so.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

blotter art.

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:36pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape
    From my own point of view, if my students didn't attend the club after I'd gone to the effort of arranging a substitue instructor while I was away, then yeah, I'd consider than bad mannors however, if they informed me before hand and I didn't arrange anything on their behalf then crack on I say.

I suppose you gotta ask yourself "...am I not supporting my instructor and his class if I train elsewhere whilst he's away"
    Yeah, this sounds about right to me. Thanks.

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What Rock Ape said (if it's a prearranged deal) with one caveat: if the sub's training methods happen to be radically different from how things were done before (for the worse, of course). Otherwise, you should stick it out IMO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 8:57am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are the substitutes not qualified to teach?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 9:30am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if you don't like the substitute's teaching style, and assuming that you have a good relationship with your teacher, i would talk to him about it and say that you would rather get in some cross-training while he's gone, rather than work with the substitute.

especially if you pay month to month and won't get charged for the time.

i know that my classes are fairly different than others in my school, so i would understand if a student who works with me a lot would want to go elsewhere while i was on a 2 month break, and i would be supportive (especially if it was to work on a skill set that i don't teach.)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

i keep tryin to spar, but nothin happens!

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 9:39am

supporting member
     Style: karate / bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    from my perspective, when the instructor is away, the dedicated people work really hard to keep things together. nobody wants the bossman to come back and have to tell him "sorry, your school fell apart on my watch."

also, a different guy running class means you get a chance to work on different things. stuff that the usual instructor doesn't focus on as much. i always look forward to variety.

but i train at pretty tightknit schools. maybe yours is more of the nameless/faceless style, i don't know.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast