Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You guys helped make this happen

Entered my 2nd competition after 7 or so months of training. Funnily enough named the Brighton "grab and pull". Cut some weight, wore my single weave and entered the under 70kg division - white belt.

I think from having been exposed to a fair few judo comps as a kid has made me quite relaxed in the competition environment. Me and my training partner are revved up, turns out we will be fighting in the same division.

I had decided that even though I do better on my back that I should go for the takedown as default and work position rather than hoping to catch them.

So in my first fight I quickly shot in for a double leg, he sprawls but I insist and get him down and get the points. I take side control and try work to mount, he escapes and we grapple abit at knees. I restablish side control and this time work to mount.

I take both his collars and work a collar choke, forcing my fist into his throat. I was hoping to get him to defend this by giving me an arm so I could armbar. But I force it hard and instead get the tap.

One of my training also does well in my division, winning his first fight by points.

2nd fight -

This has me worried, he is from our closest "rival" club. In his first fight he got the cleanest hip throw (or any throw for that matter) of the tournemount that I saw. Very confident standing and blasted through a not bad looking opponent. My coach tells me to pull guard, I think tomoe nage and pull guard if it goes wrong, he says pull guard, I agree. So Jude Samuel is our ref (first UK blackbelt) and he gets us going. I take a lapel and immediatly pull guard, I go low as I dont want him to grab my trousers and get the two points. It pays off, by pulling guard low I knock his knee and I unbalance him so I immediately go for the sit up sweep. I hear him whisper "oh ****", I get mount!. But what now..., I sit and solidify my position, looking for a arm. He tries to escape underneath and leaves an arm behind. I take it and secure a reverse triangle. I squeeze with everything I got, unsure on how to fully finish it. He taps!. I run off celebrating my ass off like I just won wimbledon. Then I go check his ok. Turns out as the blood returned to his head it put him out for a few secs.

Turns out he was also the favourite for our division. I feel I was just lucky but am still happy as Ive enver even pulled off a reverse triangle in training.

My training partner and friend does well in his fight, very nearly losing but pulling it back like a pro. I face him in the finals!

I talk to my opponent from the 2nd fight and he seems a great guy and invites me down to his club, I talk to his coach (ricardo de silva) and he seems awesome as well.

3rd fight:

Vid here, dont know if you will be able to see it.
    http://www.facebook.com/video/video....subj=843735124

Am stoked that I get to fight him, not worried if I lose. We are in the final so we secure gold and silver for our club. First gold for the club in fact (only been open 10 months). It was my oppenents birthday as well!, unfortuantly he unwisely had oysters the night before. Before our fight starts the oysters come up and he is sick in the bathrooms.

Our fight starts and I know he has a good guard where he often catches me in triangles. So I pull guard and work.

We roll over, scramble, I pass his guard to side, he escapes, gets side on me, mounts me, I escape, we go at it a few more times.

During the fight my coach is cornering us both! with such comments like "Go for the sub jadon, DONT GET SUBBED MAT!", " Posture Jadon posture!, break his posture matt!". I think I remember giggling abit.

I try a galvao style head rolliepolie guard pass!. We scramble again, he catches me in a triangle.

Luckily I was shown a good escape the day before in class. I hold his knee with both hands, put it to the ground and catdip to break his legs open. It works! Im in zombie mode now reserves are all gone. We scramble again and I get guard. Already tried a few armbars from guard none worked. This one does and I get the armbar and tap!

I dont celebrate so hard this time but am relieved. Best match including sparring sessions Ive ever had. Never given so much. Could of gone either way many times, we hope to fight each other again in the finals of an upcoming comp in kent. We celebrate with beers and birthday cake. Our other team mate got 4th and another gets gold!.

Comps are awesome, met some great people and shall be seeing them again. However when I got my ass kicked in my first comp I knew exactly what I had to do in order to get better and what I was doing bad. Am abit more fuzzy about it this time. But I know I got to work on avoiding triangles! prevention better than cure and all that. Also not sure why I keep on doing my armbar with my shin under their chin. Thanks for reading though, hope it brought some entertainment.
    Last edited by Jadonblade; 7/24/2008 3:18pm at .

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 3:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hopefully those pics show up, not sure if facebook blocks it.

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 3:30pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats! Good showing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Exodus
    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 3:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats. Good job with the writeup, I enjoyed the drama & pics.

Planning to go visit the 2nd opponent soon?

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 3:53pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks guys!. Yeah his club (nova forca - epsom)are actually closer to me than my actual club. And train on a few different days so was gonna go down and pay them a visit. Would be nice to have a rematch and go for the takedown this time, see if I can beat him at his strength. He was a student under ray stevens though (bjj and judo blackbelt [judo silver olympian]).

No worries though Im sure itll all be good fun, they were all great to talk to.

Also spoke to some people who were running a stall selling some guarana type supplements. Just bought one with a discount they gave me which has guarana, suma, spirulina, maca, yerba mate, cola nut. Seemed interesting and worth a try, any thoughts guys?

http://www.guaranaco.com/product.php...with-suma-125g

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 9:17pm

Style: Mixed Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Congrats! Great pics and write-up, too.

I also armbar with the shin across the throat; should I try to avoid this?

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 9:57pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the first one of these I've read where I could actually understand what the Hell happened. Good job on the tourny and on writing it up.

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 1:49am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango M.F.
    Congrats! Great pics and write-up, too.

I also armbar with the shin across the throat; should I try to avoid this?
    No idea, if you look at the armbar pic - Ive gone the wrong way. But putting the shin across it seems to allow enough leverage on the arm despite my body going slightly to the opposite wrong side. It is certainly looser as theres tons of room for him to pull out as my thighs arnt putting alot of squeeze on. But you can crank it on pretty hard.

Vorpal -

Thanks, spent awhile writing that up. I owe bullshido quite abit of thanks, wouldnt of even started BJJ, nevermind gotten somewhat ok at it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 3:27am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great write-up!
    Congrats with the comp.
    Also, I share a disorder with you, the "I-can't-keep-a-straight-face-if-there's-a-camera-pointed-at-me" disorder, that is.

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 4:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast