Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 9:59pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph
    I know the first line of defence is to run the hell away
    almost right. The first line of defence is to run the hell away from this kind of schools.

Good luck with that;)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51
    Everything > Kali

because Kali < suck
    kali + a knife > everything

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:36pm

Style: JKD and BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A good sharp knife will easily take of fingers with only a 3 or 4 inch blade, and a good quality larger blade will cut deep and badly into the bone of a forearm causing some serious pain and blood loss.

In FMA the first target is probably going to be the hand for a cut because it's usually the cloest target.

I did Systema previously, as some of you know (an I love it, and am not bashing it) and much of the stuff around knife defense I would never put my faith in, especially since I've began training knife vs. knife sparring with rubber knives regularly.

I think Krav's stuff should be looked at the same way. You need to test it at full speed with the practise knife before putting your faith in it. You may find some of it works, and some doesn't.

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 6:31am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I recon controlling the knifehand simply by reaching out your hand and grabbing it is an obvious foolish move. Grasping the forearm and pinning it against one's body (say, using your own forearm) is probably a better idea, if you wanted to control where his arm was going. Basically most attempts to capture a weapon-limb using one of yours would probably be quite painful, even if we're being optimistic.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 7:56am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph
    I'm too lazy to do a search, so if it's been mentioned before don't ream me.. ;)

Anyway, from what I've seen on video and the demo at a nearby school, it looks like attempting any of these "unarmed" moves will land you in the hospital or grave (?). I know the first line of defence is to run the hell away, but this school is teaching techniques that require you to "GRAB" the attackers knife hand (while kicking him in the balls... [not sure how it works against females]).

I've only taken 3-5 months of Kali and already see a number of mistakes inherent in that move! Is this common to as to what's taught to civilians? Do military (or combat krav) teach anything different?! Most of these moves were being endorsed by Darren Levine!!

Most of the other Krav stuff seemed okay, as far as striking\grappling, but with regard to the knife defense..... BULLSHIDO!! :( And it's a damn shame, I'm going crazy trying to find an FMA school nearby! And thought in the meantime I could do this to tide me over, but at $100 bucks a month and twice a week! :idea1:
    Right. Regarding the video you claim to have seen:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 9:18am

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic
    I recon controlling the knifehand simply by reaching out your hand and grabbing it is an obvious foolish move... Basically most attempts to capture a weapon-limb using one of yours would probably be quite painful, even if we're being optimistic.
    Nevertheless, two people I know well have successfully done it.

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 11:48am

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CodosDePiedra
    I come from a FMA background, and I think grabbing the arm is essential in an unarmed vs knife defense. Look up STAB on youtube. At knife range, its very hard to defend against individual attacks because a knife is very fast. A stick needs some windup, but with a knife you can just reach out and touch. I've tried this with a number of people, and you should too- get a rubber knife and try to stab and cut them as much as possible. The first round, have them try to block your attacks. The next round, have them control your arm. The results are almost universally better the second time. The concern then becomes them switching the knife to the other hand, but there are ways around this. Doing all this while kicking the balls sounds even better. Its also worth noting that krav maga teaches forearm blocking while striking as a generic response to attacks, so your point makes even less sense. The block + strike would be the response to a single attack, the grabbing if they close in for the sewing maching.

What would you suggest as a better solution to knife defense?
    Note- the above is true if they've already cornered you, and you have neither a weapon to deploy(clue- if you're not an LEO, this is a bad idea 90% of the time), nor if you're looking to make space for an escape(past them, not away from them). I've had decent success using the more-or-less traditional FMA guiding material to check the shoulder/elbow and escape the backhand window, or enable knife/gun/spray access when I try it with resistance.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 3:12pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Level-1 knife defense is a knife hand block with the bony side of your arm to their wrist and a simultaneous sucker punch (good ole Krav Maga) to the face/throat.

After you block you can do whatever or just shove them off by pushing their weapon arm with your block arm and their body with your other arm. Then you can run with a head start. If you could've run before, of course you don't play games, but presumably they had the surprise and momentum and you may not even know what's in their hand till after you block.

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 3:18pm

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Par Kour would be verry usefull in this situation I mean there realy has to be a dead end street in order for a good PK guy not to be able to escape, you know what I mean?

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 7:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Must this be another medical science vs noob thread? Havent we had so many of these lately?

If you want to have a good laugh about knife fighting, anyone remember "The brotherhood of AMOK!"?

http://www.edgedweaponsolutions.com/...gas%20Camp.pdf
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234