Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 2:14pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Zingano BJJ - Broomfield, Colorado

I've only been training here for a few months and am, of course, a lowly, lowly white belt, so take that into consideration when you read my review (I am sure the aliveness would rate above a 7 in the advanced classes). I checked out another well-known BJJ school in the area, but went with Zingano BJJ because of the class schedule and facilities. I am quite pleased with it overall. So far, I have attended about 25 beginner classes and I feel like my ground game is improving a lot, although the instructors recommend you have at least 25 under your belt before open mat/sparring, so I'm not 100% sure about how far I've come.

The classes usually go like this:
    -Warmup/running/pushups/situps/stretching
    -Technique demonstration (attacks from guard, mount, defending attacks, etc.)
    -Technique practice (usually about 10-15 minutes per technique)

Here is the bio of the head instructor, Mauricio Zingano:

"Mauricio is a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu black Belt under Professor Carlos "Caique" Ellias (Caique is a Black Belt under Rickson & Helio Gracie).

He has also trained in other styles such as Muay Thai, Boxing, Judo and Wrestling and was once been coached by world boxing champion Ray "Boom Boom" Mancine and Muay Thai champion Brian Popejoy.

Mauricio is an accomplished Jiu Jitsu and mixed martial arts fighter (6-0-1 according to Sherdog - beeran1) and an experience instructor who pays very close attention to his students and truly has a love for passing on his knowledge."

Morning beginner classes are run by a couple of purple belts, while Mauricio runs all of the evening classes. All of the instructors I have met are knowledgeable and have great attitudes, even if you are a complete retard when it comes to combat sports.

Facilities: I've trained (Muay Thai) at a few different schools over the past couple years and believe me when I say that the facilities here are pretty awesome, especially for a school that revolves mostly around BJJ. Heavy bags, boxing ring, octagon, huge mat, and open space for pad work/whatever. Check out the website for pics.

Muay Thai is also offered and taught by Mauricio. I've only attended one class due to the combined cost of BJJ + MT, but I'll probably start doing both in the next few months.

Muay Thai classes go like this:
    -Jump rope/stretch/warm up
    -Technique demo
    -Pad work
    -Sparring (light - medium, depends on you and your partner)

Although Zingano BJJ is not the largest BJJ school in Colorado, it has a very good BJJ competition team (undefeated in 2006 and, I think, in 2007). Also, I believe there is some kind of partnership with David Ruiz's Colorado BJJ (paying dues in one place lets you train in the other?), but I will have to look into that more.

There are a few pro and amateur MMA fighters training here, including Cat Albert, who I'm guessing will be fighting Gina Carano at some point if she doesn't become a full-time American Gladiator.

My only possible complaint is that the evening beginner classes get pretty hectic, sometimes drawing 30 people or more. That said, everyone I have met has been cool and more than willing to pass along what they know.

That should be enough. I'll try to come back and update my review once I've been here a while longer. Let me know if you have any questions and keep training!!! :ingun:
    Last edited by beeran1; 4/07/2009 5:49pm at . Reason: Changing location