Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My ongoing weight cut

So, I thought I'd keep a little log of my progress. This will probably piss off anybody who has trouble with weight. Sucks to be you. This thread will probably end up in YMAS as a tribute to my dedication to phsyical fitness.

So, the competition is the Lonestar JiuJitsu something or other this weekend in Houston. I ended beginners gi & no-gi as a lightweight (0-139.9). I normally walk around at just under 150.

Sunday:
    Morning Weight - 148
    Breakfast - woke up late, skipped food, drank a 20oz Coca-Cola.
    Lunch - Bacon, Eggs, Biscuits & Gravy, another 20oz Coca-Cola
    Dinner - Italian sausage, asparagus, new potatos
    Exercise - 1 hour of dog walking.
    Evening Weight - 144

Monday:
    Morning Weight - 149
    Breakfast - 20oz Coca-Cola, Whataburger sausage biscuit & hash brown sticks.
    Mid-day snack - Can of Chef Boyardee Ravioli, 20oz Coca-Cola
    Lunch - McDonalds Quarter Pounder, medium fries, medium Coca-Cola
    Dinner - 12oz Ribeye, yellow squash soup
    Exercise - 45 minutes of dog walking.
    Evening Weight - 144

Tuesday:
    Morning Weight - 147
    Breakfast - 20oz Coca-Cola, McDonalds sausage & cheese McMuffin
    Lunch - Can of Campell's Beef Stew, a can of sprite (I do get crazy now & again)
    Dinner - Grilled chicken breast over spinach leaves with goat cheese & dressing, 2 cans of Coca-Cola
    Exercise - 1 hour of MMA, 15 minutes of light rolling
    Evening Weight - 143

Wednesday
    Morning Weight - 145
    Breakfast - Frito Lay's Ruffles, original... the big bag, 20oz Coca-Cola
    Lunch - James Coney Island mini-corn dogs, small chili pie, 20oz Coca-Cola
    Dinner - 5 slices of pepperoni pizza, iced tea
    Evening Weight - 142

Thursday
    Morning Weight - 144
    Breakfast - McDonalds sausage McMuffin, orange juice
    Lunch - Jalapeno Sausage po-boy, dirty rice, 20oz coca-cola

Hoping to only have to sweat out a pound or 2 on Friday before the weigh-ins. yay!
    Last edited by indy007; 7/24/2008 10:55am at .

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:38pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How tall are you? I ask because you eat garbage and it sounds unhealthy, so I wonder if that is a healthy weight for you.

You should start eating more of better, healthier foods. Try eating a big breakfast full of complex carbs and proteins. Snack in between meals on grains, fruit, nuts, and cut out the coca cola.

Do you really consider dog walking to be excercise? If I were you, I'd start packing on the food and consider a weight training routine.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    How tall are you? I ask because you eat garbage and it sounds unhealthy, so I wonder if that is a healthy weight for you.

You should start eating more of better, healthier foods. Try eating a big breakfast full of complex carbs and proteins. Snack in between meals on grains, fruit, nuts, and cut out the coca cola.

Do you really consider dog walking to be excercise? If I were you, I'd start packing on the food and consider a weight training routine.
    5'11". I've always been this size. Once upon a time I weighed 155... but after an appendectomy, and being bed-ridden for 2 weeks, I dropped to the 140s, and been here ever since.

"dog walking" for me is a 1 mile jog, 3 times a day... but other than going to class, it's the only healthy thing I do.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:50pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by indy007
    Hoping to only have to sweat out a pound or 2 on Friday before the weigh-ins. yay!
    Grab your Visa and head to http://www.grapplersnutrition.com/

I have some issues with their general nutrition advice, but they've got hands-down the best guide to cutting weight for a competition effectively and safely that I've ever seen.

Also, it's nothing short of bizarre that your morning weigh-ins are higher than your evening weigh-ins.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well good luck in the tourney. Before the next one, I would seriously look at eating much healthier and much more often in addition to a weight training program, such as the stronglifts 5x5:
    http://stronglifts.com/search-result...3A11&q=5X5#947

The benefits to conditioning yourself outside of class are staggering. Everyone else will do it, and you will want to keep up so you don't gas so easily and at least match them in strength.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 10:55am

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am 5'11" (and change) and I weigh around 230, Though I could stand to
    lose 20 lbs. or so, 5'11 and 148 seems very thin to me.

Watching MMA fighters I have noticed that guys in this height range
    fight in all weight classes. (Micah Miller and Fedor are about the same height)

But it seems that at that height you should fight in a 180-ish weight class.

I'm not trying to be ignorant, but here are some burning questions that
    this thread has generated:

Doesn't it seem like you should fight someone your own (natural) size?
    Does fighting, and possibly beating guys that are 5+ inches shorter than you make you feel
    like your chances of winning are greatly increased?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JCMECH
    I'm not trying to be ignorant, but here are some burning questions that
    this thread has generated:

Doesn't it seem like you should fight someone your own (natural) size?
    Does fighting, and possibly beating guys that are 5+ inches shorter than you make you feel
    like your chances of winning are greatly increased?
    Their height never really occurred to me. It's my first tournament, so I don't know if it will help at all. I could be totally wasting my time, which is the opinion of one of the purple belts I roll with. I give up anywhere from 20-100 pounds against every one of my training partners. I think it'd be cool to be the heavier & stronger guy for once.

Posted On:
    7/24/2008 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by indy007
    Their height never really occurred to me. It's my first tournament, so I don't know if it will help at all. I could be totally wasting my time, which is the opinion of one of the purple belts I roll with. I give up anywhere from 20-100 pounds against every one of my training partners. I think it'd be cool to be the heavier & stronger guy for once.
    Here is where it all falls down. You won't be heavier, because you are all the same weight class. And you definetely won't be stronger, because guys who are much shorter than you but weigh the same are carrying way more muscle. If this was a stand-up match you would have reach on your side, but they will have many advantages over you in grappling, such as speed and manueveraility.

What you should be doing is cramming in as much good calories as possible and do some lifting to try and gain weight. Not that it would help by this weekend, but you may feel healthier for it and it's as good a time to start as ever. I reccomend you end this 'ongoing weight cut' immediately.

Either way, good luck.
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 7/24/2008 11:55am at .

ˇViva los Muertos!

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 6:56am

Style: Boxing/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, taller guys with longer limbs still have some advantages in grappling, even the skinny ones. especially if the match starts from a standing position because it becomes easier to defend against take downs. long arms and legs mean your center of gravity will be higher and you can use your reach to control his body when he attempts to move in for a take down.

Is this a "no gi" match? if not, you can really keep the other dude off you by taking advantage of his gi collar and shoulders. you have to watch for arm bars if you do this from the ground, but if you are good at defending against arm bar attempts then i think you'll have at least some extra useful weapons at your disposal that a littler dude who is used to fighting shorter opponents may not be ready for. even if you get your ass kicked, it should be a fun learning experience.
    A lie gets half-way around the world before the truth has time to get it's pants on. - Winston Churchhill

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 8:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rolled Gi, totally trounced the first guy 16-0, but Budomonkey was pretty damn accurate. My body and brain were both going only at about half speed. I had the guy S-mounted twice, and he was shrimping in a circle so fast I couldn't keep up and get my leg over. Had a gogoplata & kimura I couldn't finish either. The 6 minute rounds seemed like an awfully long time. Second guy I was up on 4-0 and got caught in an armbar with 30 seconds to go. Stupid mistake on my part, stood instead of stacked and the guy caught me pretty good.

Working on a new diet & a weight training setup I can manage. It's pretty difficult with my schedule, but I know it'll be worth the effort.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast