Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:24am

Style: MMA/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had some Classical JuJutsu before I went into BJJ. After I'd been there for a while (like 6 months) I stumbled across a method of applying wristlocks from the gaurd. For about a week I was tapping people left and right with my funky new wristlock, even caught a blue with it before the teacher noticed what I was doing. Turns out wristlocks are not permitted to white belts.

BTW, Brazilian Instructor does not necessarily equal high quality. I've heard a couple of stories of blue belts receiving wild promotions as soon as they got on the plane to Gringolandia.

Or did I fail to read the sarcasm in your text?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:32am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    kultist,

Where I train BJJ, we turtle all day long. We just try to avoid the hooks and either recover guard or get up. Does your instructor teach that you shouldn't turtle?
    No, it's just that judo turtling is hideous. It gets to the stage where people far better than me at judo are losing to me in groundwork because I roll them over and get body triangles pretty easily, since they are not expecting to be pulled onto me (everyone in all the judo clubs i've ever been to, which is 3, is taught never to try pull someone who is turtling on to you), and I end up getting backmount.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:37am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kultist
    It gets to the stage where people far better than me at judo are losing to me in groundwork because I roll them over and get body triangles pretty easily, since they are not expecting to be pulled onto me
    and THIS, people, is the exact reason why training in both Judo and BJJ is such a good idea...among many others

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:39am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Going from Judo to BJJ was not bad, but the gripping and posture for the randori is different. In BJJ I find it to be a rather defensive posture, but there is not usually the same slap fighting for grips that you have in Judo. And not many tri for ippon seonogi or other throws as you expose your back and someone climbs on your back.

I guess it depends greatly on the school, and how much the instructor has cross trained.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:45am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, it's just that judo turtling is hideous. It gets to the stage where people far better than me at judo are losing to me in groundwork because I roll them over and get body triangles pretty easily, since they are not expecting to be pulled onto me (everyone in all the judo clubs i've ever been to, which is 3, is taught never to try pull someone who is turtling on to you), and I end up getting backmount.
    Thing is, backmount isn't that great a position in Judo. It's pretty hard to get anything going on someone who just wants to stall in 5 or fewer seconds when you're not allowed to touch their face.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 10:19am

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    Thing is, backmount isn't that great a position in Judo. It's pretty hard to get anything going on someone who just wants to stall in 5 or fewer seconds when you're not allowed to touch their face.
    That's true of competitions, but not of club newaza where I have time to work an RNC or armbar.

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 11:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's true of competitions, but not of club newaza where I have time to work an RNC or armbar.
    I've been trying to fight Judo newaza sessions with the competition rules in mind, i.e. go for a quick turnover or sub rather than trying to establish position.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12