Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    100xobm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,205
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Judoka about to head into BJJ

    I've actually done some BJJ before, but it was a long time ago and it was full of wankers. Not making a generalisation, just this place in particular was a shower of bastards with something to prove.

    Anyway, I'm heading to a different BJJ place with a bona fide Brazillian teaching (which means it MUST be good...). I broke my wrist a while ago from drunkening and it's good now, just probably not as wide a range of motion. It's not a problem with judo, but you guys do more stuff to people on the ground. Do I need to worry about wristlocks? Ikkyo, Nikkyo, Kote gaeshi and so on? I can't really find the information anywhere.

  2. #2
    100xobm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,205
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn, I meant to put this in the BJJ forum.

    NoobFail.

  3. #3
    GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother supporting member
    LI GUY 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,561
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No need to worry about wristlocks in BJJ, they are legal but not used much. If it hurts just tap anyway. I bet if your wrsit can support throwing and gripping in Judo you are fine in BJJ.

  4. #4
    100xobm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,205
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sweet, thanks.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    1,228
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wristlocks are generally not allowed at the white belt level so you have little to worry about.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Somerset, UK
    Posts
    791
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main things you have to think about are highly extensive use of the guard position, omoplatas (ude garami done from legs), perhaps a few leg locks (not many though), not being able to stand out of the triangle choke Sankagu jime since fighters are not automatically separated if one stands up, and never letting anyone take your back. So please, don't turtle.

  7. #7
    AlphaFoxtrot51's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Seattle, Washington
    Posts
    1,747
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by LI GUY 1
    No need to worry about wristlocks in BJJ, they are legal but not used much. If it hurts just tap anyway. I bet if your wrsit can support throwing and gripping in Judo you are fine in BJJ.
    Is that Long Beach in the background of your avatar?
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

    Christmas Tag Wishlist:



  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Jersey
    Posts
    718
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kultist,

    Where I train BJJ, we turtle all day long. We just try to avoid the hooks and either recover guard or get up. Does your instructor teach that you shouldn't turtle?

  9. #9
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    kultist,

    Where I train BJJ, we turtle all day long. We just try to avoid the hooks and either recover guard or get up. Does your instructor teach that you shouldn't turtle?
    There's turtling and then there's turtling...

    Judo players are often in the habit of lying flat on their bellies with their legs spread and their hands defending their necks. Back mount isn't a pin in Judo, you're not allowed to grind their face to open them up and you'll be stood up after a few seconds, so it's a viable tactic. In BJJ, though, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, this is better known as 'suicide'.

    I turtle all the time in BJJ. My escape to pretty much everything these days is to give my back and pull half-guard.
    Last edited by PointyShinyBurn; 7/23/2008 8:05am at .

  10. #10
    Squerlli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NO! SLEEP! TILL BROOKLYN!
    Posts
    3,683
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    There's turtling and then there's turtling...

    Judo players are often in the habit of lying flat on their bellies with their legs spread and their hands defending their necks. Back mount isn't a pin in Judo, you're not allowed to grind their face to open them up and you'll be stood up after a few seconds, so it's a viable tactic. In BJJ, though, as I'm sure you'll appreciate, this is better known as 'suicide'.
    Good Judoka hide keep their knee's in and try to reverse by pushing off the side and going for half/full gaurd. But yeah in general the turtling is a bit excessive.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO