Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 12:55pm

Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, throat strikes can kill.

But then again if you drive your finger as hard and accurately as you could into an eye if could kill as well. You could kill a guy by picking him up and dropping his head on cement. You could punch him in the temple and kill him too. so on and on.

Good thing to know about, the throat strike. But being something you can't practice in contact sparring, being such a difficult target(relatively), and being something which may or may not KILL(and probably would'nt STOP an assault by a drugged/psyched up attacker).... it really is something better left for theoretical discussion.

punisher,
    sorry, did'nt mean to be so harsh. I see where you're coming from now.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 12:59pm

Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dai tenshi,

a tracheotomy is when they make an incision below your voicebox, and a tube put in so air can be ventilated into your lungs. Done when there is extensive inflammation around your trachea so air can't get in.... as in the aftereffects of a throatstrike.

This is the thing I feel about throatstrikes, most of the time it could work via this sequela of inflammation... which would only set in MUCH later, so it is'nt going to neccesarily stop your attackers onslaught at the time.

I've heard about crushing the tracheal rings.... sounds pretty damn difficult to do, but I can't say anything on that as I have no experience with such techniques, maybe someone else can talk about it.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 1:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dai-Tenshi,
    I think the problem that Peedee is trying to communicate is that targeting on the throat is extremely sensitive. It is not an easy thing to pull off. Read my post on this thread about targeting and openings and the tactical picture and you will understand this point.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 1:03pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you think of those "combat Ki wackos"? It seems pretty fukked up huh? Id LOVE to kick one of them in the nuts! What do you think he'd do if after you kicked him in the nuts you screamed and bit his nose or something?
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 1:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know when you can REALLY fukk someones throat up? If they've been drinking and they try and grab you or something and you put them in a tight guillotine. That can collapse the trachea, which nrmally isnt a prob, but the alchohol dries it out and makes it very hard to "uncollapse" it so they can continue breathing again. My BJJ instructor told me to be very careful if I ever had to use that move on a drunk. I had never heard it before that.

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 1:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    NO PEEDEE!!! BJJERS NEVAR ATTACK THE THROAT ONLY DIM MAK DO!!11!!! KIAI!!!
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 1:09pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LMAO!

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 1:11pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I suppose, also, I totally ignored the "in MMA" aspect of the thread.

Yes, a throat shot would be harder standing, though in a grappling situation I can see it bein muc easier to do, and then you can get into the whole "well if there's more than one you don't wanna spend much time on the ground blahblahblah". Anywho, I personally think it's dangerous enough based on prior experience to avoid the throat during training (chokes exempt of course).

As for those combat ki guys, I wonder how they'd respond to a submission, and are these guys essentially modern "iron vest" practicioners? Sheesh, sorry, but I'd rather practice the fine art of not getting hit ^_^

Mostly, I just sit here. Mostly.

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 1:12pm

hall of famestaff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh, yeah, see we all do it ^_^ I'd just much sooner do it with a choke than a strike.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 9:53pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    roundhouses to the throat?

sounds like the punch to the guy that was down.

I dont believe either.

and besides, it seems to me that Clash 77 pretty much clarified the issue with personal experience ( and professional it seems.)

this is the ridiculousness of the internet...actually arguing whether or not a strike to the throat can be lethal. wtf? are you insane?

Peedee,

so getting hit in the throat is the same as getting hit in say the ....forehead, for instance? or the effect of getting hit in the side of the head is the same no matter where it lands? the temple area is no more vulnerable than one of the skull bones? It is the same to you if you get hit in the cheekbone or in the throat?

Amazing.

Peace.
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast