Our Sponsors:

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It wasn't a palm heel, definetly a punch. It looks like it is to the throat area, but I couldn't really tell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 11:44pm

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah the trachea is hard cartlidge, it would be very diffucult indeed to close it by squeezing. I understand it can be done with a baton very easily. But squeezing it and sharp trauma are different things. Yeah as the wastral said people do pay too much attention to the shape of their hands and not how to land the shot...its probably more applicable as a sucker strike to get out of a dire situation than in a fight against someone who is cool headed and keeps their chin down. An edge hand strike their with real power and penetration could be very nasty...but landing that against a trained person is not going to be easy. And yeah i definatly agree with what was said about people being shot and keeping coming. Nothing is a sure bet ey?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 11:47pm

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    by the way did anyone see in the movie "he got game" where Denzel's character suckers a guy with a strike with the webbing between thumb and forefinger just as a distraction, and then he decks him? Thats some sneaky ****.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 2:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a search for news stories on karate chop related deaths. I guess it happens. I found this article about a guy who killed someone with a Karate chop to the throat:

http://www.dailyrecord.com/news/arti...ews7-lopez.htm

"Jury out on Dover karate chop killing"

A Morris County jury will return today to deliberate on whether car wash attendant Jose Lopez acted in self-defense to ward off a sexual assault or killed a Dover man last year with a karate blow to the throat while trying to rob him.

Jurors heard closing arguments Wednesday in Superior Court, Morristown, in a murder, felony murder and robbery trial against Lopez and deliberated briefly before being excused for the day.

Lopez, a 24-year-old immigrant from Honduras who told police he had practiced karate-style moves on trees in his homeland, is charged with killing Luis H. Rendon, 43, on March 17, 2002, in Dover. Authorities said that Lopez, who admitted to having struck Rendon in the throat, left him struggling, face down but still alive, in the Rockaway River.

Jurors also were told that the victim, a former worker for the Pepsi Co., faced a sentencing in May 2002 on a guilty plea he had entered to a drug offense.

Defense lawyer Elizabeth Smith said in her closing that Lopez feared for his life and safety because Rendon was making strong sexual advances to him. Lopez told police in a videotaped statement, which jurors watched, that Rendon warned he would force himself sexually upon Lopez if he did not submit.

New Jersey law permits persons to defend themselves against an attack, but Morris County Assistant Prosecutor John McNamara Jr. emphasized that Lopez -- if his story was accepted as truth -- acted with force disproportionate to Rendon's alleged advances.

"Your back has to be against the proverbial wall" before you legally can respond with deadly force, McNamara said.

McNamara argued to jurors that Lopez concocted a defense because he knew others had seen him drinking at two bars in Dover with Rendon and that he had lost an earring on the banks of the Rockaway River where he went after drinking with the victim.

As Lopez sat with his head down, slumped at the defense table, McNamara told jurors the state believes that Lopez lured the intoxicated Rendon toward the river with the intent of robbing him. He noted that Lopez admitted taking a religious medallion from the victim and rifling through his wallet, which he claimed was empty of cash.

Lopez, a Dover resident who worked at a car wash in Sparta, describes in his taped statement how he scuffled at the riverbank with Rendon to ward off his advances. He claimed that while they were struggling in the water, he struck Rendon across the throat with a karate blow that sent the victim keeling over into the water.

He said he tried to help him up but that Rendon was too heavy to lift.

Lopez said he took the medallion off Rendon's neck and left him face down, arms flailing, in the water. He went home, discarded his wet clothes in a Dumpster and returned to the riverbank the next day to find Rendon dead.

Authorities said the man died because the blow fractured a bone and splintered cartilage in his throat.

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 4:30am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL

I REALLY LOVE THESE THREADS! Thats why Bullshido is the way it is.

1) GETTING HIT IN THE THROAT CAN KILL YOU.

If you believe otherswise you are STUPID.

2) Some pple are tougher than others.

Alot of pple seem to forget we are not all the same and because something happens to one person doesn't mean it won't happen to another.

3) The CHOKE and STRANGLE thing

They are the same thing. The distinction is many used in terms of Forensics and other such matter. Since pple equate CHOKING with cuting off the air and noone says, "Use the hiemlich manuever on a STRANGLING person." Now do they. So STFU or I will CHOKE/STRANGLE you.

4) The RNC can cut of BOTH the blood and the air.

However the way most pple apply it mainly focus on cutting of air.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 10:50am

Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    punisher,

in BJJ we just call strangles/chokes/etcetc.... CHOKES. It just makes it easier. So maybe in your kenpo you may call it a choke if it affects air supply, a strangle if it affects blood supply... fine, but judoka, bjjers and subwrestlers have all been calling it a choke all the same and no one cares any less.

who gives a ****. It's all semantics, just f'in train.

btw, the RNC does'nt just affect the arteries. From a scientific/medical viewpoint there is much more in play here than just carotid artery compression, there is the stimulation of the vasovagal response, constriction of outflow of veins etcetc that all add up to induce the quick 'passing out'. So as you can see, you can be as anal as you want to try to argue what it should be called or what happens, but no one gives a ****.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 10:59am

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia is correct. Frankdooks is correct. (Can you believe I just said that? FRANK DUX IS CORRECT?)

We refer to them quite simply as wind chokes or blood chokes. I disagree with Asia a bit in that I think some distinction is useful. Compression of the larynx/windpipe produces an entirely different effect, and there is thus some utility in thinking about it a little differently. It also helps in keeping in mind which ones you have to be careful in applying.

As far as the terminology goes...Get TRADITIONAL guys! Then they're all just Shime-Waza!
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 12:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "punisher,

in BJJ we just call strangles/chokes/etcetc.... CHOKES. It just makes it easier. So maybe in your kenpo you may call it a choke if it affects air supply, a strangle if it affects blood supply... fine, but judoka, bjjers and subwrestlers have all been calling it a choke all the same and no one cares any less."

If you go back and read the posts, you'll see I didn't every say there was a difference, drunkenj did. As you said, I never heard a judoka, bjjer, or subwrestler use the term "strangle" and i figured they would know.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 12:19pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Asia and Wastrel are most correct.

Keep walking around thinking that a throat strike wont kill you. lol

Clash 77, how about the hyoid?

Peace.

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 12:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who the crap said that a throat strike couldn't kill you? It was just stated that it wasn't a pinky touch auto kill.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast