Hell yeah! Hell no!
    dang, I didn't know it was that easy to damage the trachea

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 9:49am

Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    throat strikes WERE legal in early UFC's. To the best of my knowledge they are still legal in certain Brazilian events, WVT etc, correct me if I'm wrong.

you don't see them because it's difficult enough to land a punch to the jaw in a real fight, let alone an accurate throat strike. The throat strike is something that has been overly romaticized in movies, instant 'death' crap that ppl afraid of MMA try to cling on to as an excuse of their inaptitude. Looking at it from a medical/scientific point of view, it COULD work, but would take a bloody long time to. You'd have to wait for inflammation(swelling) to set in after you've done your throat strike before your opponent finds it difficult to breathe and die, which would only happen a while AFTER the fight. In the midst of combat, the adrenaline is not going to let him get affected by it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 10:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'd be tough to land a throat shot anyway - they will cover with their hands and keep their chin tucked. If their chin isn't tucked and protecting their throat, why not just chin them? Good chance of KO, no death to worry about.

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 10:32am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you watch the Frank Shamrock vs Igor Zinoviev fight you'l see Shamrock lift up Igor, slam his head on the ground for him and then rear back and punch himstraight in the throat while Zinoviev was unconcious. There was no damage done to Zinoviev's throat at all.

Your throat is very pliable and is hard to crush with concussive force. A TMA strike like a spearhand(seriously) would be WAY more effective than a punch.
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 10:52am

Style: MIXED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are two kinds of throat strikes, one is deliberate and if the person knows what he is doing it will kill. The other throat strike is accidental, it may kill or it may not itís a roll of the dice. I donít think that Frank Shamrock was trying to kill Igor Zinoviev, more likely a punch aimed at the jaw landed on the throat and Igor got lucky. And throat strikes are banded in the UFC.

Seeker of Truth

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Five Animal Fighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "here are two kinds of throat strikes, one is deliberate and if the person knows what he is doing it will kill. The other throat strike is accidental, it may kill or it may not itís a roll of the dice."

I believe the adrenaline dump experienced in combat makes precision strikes like this almost impossible. Countless times in UFC and Pride we I have seen a fighter miss a punch on a unresisting, unmoving opponent that has already been knocked out. The guy is laying defenseless on the floor and his opponent jumps on top of him and rains blow after blow to the mat on either side of his head.

And even if these types of strikes could be pulled off what would be the point? It's not going to knock someone out. It will either kill someone or do nothing. Neither are attractive possibilites.

And yes, such move were legal in UFC 1, but who the hell is going to use one. Who is willing to be the asshole that killed a guy on a PPV sporting event for a couple of thousand bucks?

Co-Founder, Retired Admin

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 12:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Karate,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its not going to kill anyone man lol. This is more TMA death strike maam-bo Jah-haambo....
    "All warfare is based on deception." -Sun Tzu, ca. 400BC

Reverse punch Kiaii!!!

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 12:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Punisher
    I believe the adrenaline dump experienced in combat makes precision strikes like this almost impossible.
    Good point.

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 12:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by PeedeeShaolin
    Its not going to kill anyone man lol. This is more TMA death strike maam-bo Jah-haambo....
    Get one of your students to spear hand you below the Adams apple real hard and get back to us on how itís not lethal.

And when are you going to have more MT fights than MT students?
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast