• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2003 10:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah yeah, I see. It does only say no head elbows.

http://www.pridefc.com

Posted On:
    12/05/2003 10:51pm

Style: MIXED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    striking the throat can cut off the oxygen to the brain and then you will start stupid threads like this one

Posted On:
    12/05/2003 10:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/05/2003 10:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stold3,

The problem that I see, is that people think WAY too much about the shape of their hands, and WAY too little about position and tactics.

In NHB events for example, whenever someone has a clear throat shot, we can assume they have a MUCH clearer shot to the face. Right?

And if they have a clear shot for an elbow, they definitely have one for a fist as well.

This is twice as true on the ground.

There's little difference in the situation for either fighter, no matter what shape their hand is in. The only difference is that it's POSSIBLE that a strike to the throat could end it faster.

But what are we talking about? Two or three punches versus MAYBE one throat chop?

This is tactically insignificant. Coming from BJJ and Taekkyon (both sport arts) I say that too many TMA people are fixated on this stupid detail of the shape of their hand, and pay almost no attention whatsoever to position.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog

Posted On:
    12/05/2003 11:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm..Maybe I have small hands or something but my fist can fit into the space between the jaw and the body. I wouldn't change my hand shape(and never have mauahaaah) to punch someone in the throat. Everytime I have seen the throat open I have taken the shot, and it is usually on the ground.

Posted On:
    12/05/2003 11:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the throat is very hard to hit, almost immpossible on a skilled fighter.
    It only incapcitates IF the strike is applied when the chin is UP ( the head tilted back) any other way, the force of the blow can be absorbed, redirected or even smothered.
  7. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 2:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can't get the throat on a guy in a good stance. You have to open him up with good punches. By then the fight is stopped anyway. It would just be overkill. Contrary to what some people might think, those guys don't go in there with the goal of killing the other fighter anyway. I'd wager that most of them would rather lose than live with killing someone they respect that much. Even if it was legal you wouldn't see throat strikes. Nobody wants to win like that. You don't look like a hero. You might as well win by kicking him in the balls. Ya look like a girl to all the other martial athletes.

Deaths from neck shots come from burst blood vessels on the side or damage to the spine in the back. If you punch or chop a guy in the neck hard enough then you can break it. If you slam the side of it hard enough you can burst a blood vessel. You'd have to really nail him and he'd have to be stationary though.

Most boxers and Muay Thai stylists know how to roll with the punches well enough that it is hard to get any kind of a solid punch on them at all until the later rounds when they are tired out. There are ways to do it though. Especially on someone who is not so skilled. You aren't going to walk up and punch Silva in the throat though. He would rip your arm off with his teeth.

To kill someone by trauma to the throat, the front of the neck .. you have to cause their muscles to tense up around their trahcea long enough that they suffocate. That's pretty hard to do. It might hurt him enough to get him to back off but most people aren't going to die from a jab to the throat.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 12/06/2003 2:09am at .

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 2:38am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys take shots to the neck accidentally all the time. And guys end up getting kicked in the neck from a roundhouse alllll the time.

Uppercuts and front kicks? there ya go.

And yeah, like he said... guys who make excuses make more. Don't even spar but bash MMA, and say they're for the STREET. MMA is harder. Just you and him, you can't run away, he is in GREAT shape and knwos technqiues. Some twat on DA STREET is out of shape, can't fight worth **** and you BOTH could have weapons, be packing heat, or have a posse.

AGH.
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 2:57am

Style: Kung Fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Stold3
    No doubt that it can. But **** any kind of blunt head trauma "could" kill.
    I strike to the trachea is MUCH more likely to take a person out than blunt trauma to the head. The human trachea is about as tough to crush as a plastic dixie cup. Once crushed, it stays crushed until surgical intervention (very rare that a person with tracheal trauma even makes it to surgery).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/06/2003 3:03am

Style: Kung Fu San Soo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by 9chambers

To kill someone by trauma to the throat, the front of the neck .. you have to cause their muscles to tense up around their trahcea long enough that they suffocate. That's pretty hard to do. It might hurt him enough to get him to back off but most people aren't going to die from a jab to the throat. [/B]

Untrue, the tracheal cartilege can be crushed by direct trauma. Happens all the time in auto collisions. Oddly enough, the trauma does not even need to be that great, just very direct (in that way, kinda like a groin shot). We had a lady in the field who had her trachea crushed while she was painting a door and her little girl opened it, the knob hitting her in the throat.......she was one of the lucky ones, even though she breaths through a stoma now.
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast