Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 9:59pm

Style: Delusional Idiocy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    though wastral is spot on with what he says about people putting too much emphasis on hand shape and not being land the shot..in a hypothetical where the opening is there im sure the handblade would be far worse than a fist,

Posted On:
    12/07/2003 10:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aren't there certain immobile joints in the skull bones where you can get fucked up real good if hit hard enough there?

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 12:19am

Style: judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As I think some others have said, the only chance I could see of this working is on the ground. But why not strikes to that nerve that I think is right next to the cartoid on the side of the neck? I've heard from people who weren't into all the death touch crap that it REALLY shakes you up if hit with the knife edge of the palm there. That's the spot where cro cop has gotten a number of his knockouts.
    You want some birth control? You can smoke a cigarette.
  4. 9chambers

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 1:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I saw a girl with an adam's apple at a concert once .. uh heh.

I was at some youth thing in a church basketball gymnasium once and I was goofing around with this kid named Curtis. Kind of a dork. Anyway, we were just being dumb and got in our stances. I did this big Kung Fu spin kick for fun (inside crescent, spins into another inside crescent) and he rushed in after the first one, thinking that was it. The second kick caught him right upside his head. Only, I saw it happening, felt it make contact and I pulled it. I let my leg loosen so it wouldn't have any power behind it. I was airborne and I still managed to pull it. He wasn't hurt at all.

What I am saying is - if you get hit in the throat on accident, the guy isn't going to follow through with his punch. He isn't hitting you his hardest. I don't think getting grazed on accident is the same thing as somebody slamming their fist or hand into your throat with the intent to do damage.

That being said, I've been hit in the throat on accident and I'm alive. It made me gag for a minute or two but I was okay. I fell out of a tree and landed on my back once, got the wind knocked out of me, that was worse. I couldn't breath at all. I thought I was going to die.
    Last edited by 9chambers; 12/08/2003 1:26am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 5:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The autopsy of a friend who was beaten to death, showed that despite being shot, stabbed several times, and generally beaten, the ultimate cause of death was due to axphixiation due to swelling from his throat being hit by the end of a rifle butt.

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 6:55am

Style: MIXED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by kuntaokid
    this is the ridiculousness of the internet...actually arguing whether or not a strike to the throat can be lethal. wtf?
    Bullets arenít lethal. Thousands of people have been shot and not died. I was hit by a ricochet once and all I got was a bruise, hah bullets are nothing to worry about!

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 8:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When the Society of Automotive Engineers ( SAE) started doing tests on cadavers and dummies for injury tolerances of the human body, they found that all it takes is about 300lbs of peak forse to fracture the cricoid cartilidge. but that the cases of fractured "throat" were rare except for people getting hit from BEHIND and not wearing seat belts. It seems that the whiplash of a rear strike cause the head to arch back, exposing the throat IF the thoat hit the stearing wheel , the fracture would occur.
    The key being the position of the head, tilted back and throat exposed.

Think of the elbow, almost immposible to break if bent, very easy to break if the arm is straight.

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 9:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Question... what about the point just under the Adam's Apple. The little hollow. If you use your fingers hitting into this point, won't it cause them to choke? It seems very sensitive, and I realize someone is not just going to offer it up.... but it would seem a viable target....

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 3:25pm

Style: Boxing, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont know where you guys are hitting but I have tried striking the throat twice in my life. Once on a football field and once in the street. Both times they were stopped dead in their tracts choking and puking. If i can strike a fully padded lineman who is charging in then it isnt that difficult to do. They both required a set up but that is easy. For the football player a rt arm shiver to the face snapped his head back leaving his throat wide open for the left hand. On the street while on the ground inserting my left index and left middle finger deep in his rt and left nostril and pulling his head back opened the throat wide for a shot with the right hand.
    There are two major areas of the throat for striking. The thyroid cartilage is rigid, has a smaller internal diameter and more vulnerable to fracture and swelling. This is what kills people when their throats strike steer wheels etc. This the area we bypass when doing tracheotomies because we have to bypass the damage above.

The lower part is the trachea per se. It is softer, larger internal diameter and and can acoommidate trauma and swelling much better. Its where we put the trach tubes in

There is NO ONE on this board who is going to tolerate a moderate to full power strike on the thyroid cartilage and not feel immediate major problems. If you think otherwise then you should go find some sociopath and have him strike you there hard and see what happens. Then come back to the forum here and tell us how it felt is you are still around.

Such as thou art, sometime was I.

Posted On:
    12/08/2003 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Brazilian Jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Rigante is correct.

However my point is only that tactically we don't train for this any differently. And that while the NHB ruleset disallows this, it doesn't mean that we don't know about it.

Point being, when you spar, do you hit each other in the throat?

Didn't think so.

So why does everyone think that fighters are these robots who can only act in accordance with NHB rules?

That's like, if I jump between my girlfriend's legs I immediately pass guard and apply an arm triangle choke just because NHB rules forbid sexual intercourse.
    Normally, I'd say I was grappling, but I was taking down and mounting people, and JFS has kindly informed us that takedowns and being mounted are neither grappling nor anti grappling, so I'm not sure what the **** I was doing. Maybe schroedinger's sparring, where it's neither grappling nor anti-grappling until somoene observes it and collapses the waveform, and then I RNC a cat to death.----fatherdog
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 11 LastLast