Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 5:58am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could do **** plyometrically, like throw bricks as hard as you can, sledgehammer really intensely and so on

That'd get you a better workout out of it. It'd basically probably give you the same result as doing basic non-isolation exercises at really high rep ranges

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 9:52am

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem becomes when you do stuff like that as a highly repetitive motion you over work muscles and overtax joints.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but you still need to have amazing body mechanics and do more than just one exercise for 8 hrs+ a day.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 10:19am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Breeze
    You could do **** plyometrically, like throw bricks as hard as you can, sledgehammer really intensely and so on
    That's not a good idea. Working until you exhaust your muscles on a jobsite often means a lack of control at the end of the 'set'. Lack of control can lead to injury to yourself or your co-workers.

Yesterday I busted up a concrete patio with a sledgehammer. I'd swing until I felt my control of the hammer weakening. Then, I'd take a short break before starting again. So in that sense it was like a workout, but I don't swing a sledge every day.

People ask me if I workout. I tell them no, I just work hard.

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Really... by what measure?
    this is an ovbious and overlooked question

Its too easy to throw out the "I don't gas cause I'm a blue collar worker and I'm the real thing...blah, blah"

however, to try to do rep work can create problems:

jnp:
    Working until you exhaust your muscles on a jobsite often means a lack of control at the end of the 'set'. Lack of control can lead to injury to yourself or your co-workers.
    If I'm working out, especially if its a crossfit-style where I'm working to the point of grip failure or riding my limit, that's fine becasue of the environment. I can sit down on a tire and shiver and spill water on my chest trying to hydrate. But on the jobsite, not even AHHNOLD can work in that fashion.

Instead, I'll mark my progress in-say:

•how winded I get going up the same hill that I've been humping for the past three months. •how many swings with a double-jack before I need to pause.
    •how deep is my flat-footed squat, this will tell me if my back is getting tight
    •etc.

It's mostly lower-intensity conditioning over a longer period

This is more subjective, but to set up time trails is kind of distracting from the work at hand and as jnp points out, you have to pay attention to your priorities.

if TheRuss/anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears:tongue8:
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 12:18pm

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    try to avoid injury's. Injury's is common for hard manual labor. you will probably loose alot of weight to. It will also give you a nice big pay check so it's not all bad. good luck with this.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 2:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    if TheRuss/anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears:tongue8:
    Suggestions, eh? Buy index funds and hold onto them for the long haul. Picking stocks is akin to holding a portfolio comprised of lottery tickets, and other mutual funds charge more to do poorly.

On the subject of "on-the-job training"... ergogenic benefits should take a back seat to safety, health, and quality of work. Safety and quality are obvious - don't push yourself to the point of recklessness, carelessness, or sloppiness. Health is a bit more subtle.

If I were to say that I'd struck it rich and was going to become a full time amateur fighter, and that my new workout plan was to spend eight hours a day, five days a week hitting a tire with a sledgehammer, you'd all object (I hope) that I was being foolish.

"You're asking for repetitive strain injuries."
    "You're going to overtrain."
    "You'll develop asymmetries left-to-right and between antagonistic muscle groups."
    "What did that tire ever do to you?"
    So on, and so forth.

And interestingly enough, if you talk to a physiotherapist who does jobsite work (as opposed to only sports rehab), you'll learn that these concerns (slightly reworded) apply to people with manual labour jobs - whether or not they're trying to use them as strength and conditioning work. So the rule of thumb here is that, when in doubt, protect your health like that physiotherapist would tell you to.

Specifically:
    -Listen to your body. If it hurts, you're doing it wrong.
    -Don't go for any 1RM personal bests on the jobsite.
    -Remember that you have to come back and do more of the same tomorrow.

The main benefits you should be looking for are going to be the ones associated with elevated metabolism from keeping active all day. I think that you've chosen a good battery of tests (endurance and flexibility-oriented), by the way.

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 4:30pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the subject of Index funds, remember that dollar cost averaging is one of the major reasons they work well. Steady investment in high and low markets is what gets that 8-9% return. If you bought last September and just held, you'd be kind of screwed right now, and for the next 5 to 10 years. Still, "managed funds" just eat up your return, usually.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 5:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My father is a longshoreman as well; dangerous gig. He also has a belly, and is a diabetic and recently had some stents put in. And then the doctors at the hospital, which is a teaching hospital (Stony Brook, out on LI) did an enormous amount of imaging of his limbs to show both future patients and their students.

Despite the triple threat of being overweight, diabetic, and experiencing clogging (though not his cholesterol because he eats like a Greek), his circulation was near-perfect thanks to the immense amount of exercise provided by his job. (He maintains and repairs cranes, so the exercise he gets is as varied as the number of ways something can malfunction.)

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 7:59am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manual labour will get you in shape. But not necessarily good for your MA.
    I know Joe Lewis used to be a butcher and alot of other great boxers from his day were blue collar workers and worked with their hands all day.
    Know any good muay thai fighters that are blue-collar workers? No they usually train sport specific. Know any good basketball players that are blue-collar workers? Again sport specific.
    Are your shoots and sprawls and bjj going to be better because you work a blue - collar job?
    Doubt it...
    Cheers!

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 3:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They also have woodchopping at the Ekka. A guy with one arm competes sometimes... and beats people. In the days before people became too pansified, the woodchoppers would then ask to be put in a Catch submission hold and place a bet, before crying like spoilt schoolgirls within about 15 seconds.

Alas, that part is gone, but the woodchopping still remains. Woodchopping and sledgehamerring appeal to me because they are standup leverage work and just good simple exercise.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234