Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:33am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I'm a 20 year+ carpenter too. Serge stole my post, verbatim.

Today, because I forgot my socket set, I had the pleasure of using a crescent wrench while screwing in eight inch lag bolts while hanging off a three story balcony. Abs and forearms in one workout!

To Serge: of course I pre-drilled, but it was a three-eights inch bit vs. half-inch lags. Gotta maintain my girlish figure somehow.
    *cali-accent* DUDE! just cut-off the shank and drive the lag bolt like a feckin'nail. Like, where's it gonna go anyhow?? Down?:XXfridge:
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 6:40am

Style: FS Karate, Boxing, MT,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanx for all the comments

to anwser some of you, i know the job isn't going to replace technique training (i aint stupid), but all i can do at the moment is some boxing and self training. i know its not the best combnation in the world, but its better than nothing.

in terms of strength, conditioning, endurance etc, i personally think its better than the gym. the reason being i work harder working than i did in the gym, most jobs need more than one type of training, instead of paying for training i get payed to do training and so on...

my dad started heavy labour at the age of 12 on a quarry, a building site and a farm. he can still out strength me and his in his mid 50s now!

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 7:37am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha carpenters, pffft!

Let me know when you carry sheetrock all day long.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by malsah
    in terms of strength, conditioning, endurance etc, i personally think its better than the gym. the reason being i work harder working than i did in the gym
    Pick your goals, choose your measurements, run your n=1 study, and let us know how it goes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 2:37pm

Style: FS Karate, Boxing, MT,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss
    Pick your goals, choose your measurements, run your n=1 study, and let us know how it goes.
    will do

How do elenchus?

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 6:49am

Style: gah, transition again

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If being a labourer kept you strong and lean, why the hell are 99% of the builders I sell to fatasses?

Great guys, but chubs none the less. Except for like 4 of them, who could benchpress me on a bad day.
    Lord Krishna said: I am terrible time the destroyer of all beings in all worlds, engaged to destroy all beings in this world; Of those heroic soldiers presently situated in the opposing army, even without you none will be spared.
    Bhagavad Gita 11:32

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 8:30am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    its low-intensity overall and the dudes eat/drink way too much

there are some real fatasses out there for sure. Plus, just because somebody works with his body all his life dosen't mean he knows how to best use it. Like, Carpal Tunnel is for apes!

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 11:24am

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only problem I would see is that you have to work one side predominantly, so you could get some natural muscle imbalances (which most people have) that directed training would not give you. You know, you have to hammer with your right all the time, you can't switch off, unless you want a busted thumb, etc.

I used to train with a carpenter, and that guy was strong as ****. Once he stopped training though, he sprang a beer gut fairly quickly.

Marvin Hagler was some kind of laborer before he hit big, and even while he was fighting for a while, so it can't be too bad. Plus most every boxer at my boxing gym works with his hands, except the big money guy, and me. At least you're in good company.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 11:40am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've always tried to use my left side as much as I can. Its good coordination/balancing and -frankly- blue collar can be real boring sometimes so the little challenges are helpful.

Less so today cause of nailguns etc. But the old school framers usually had one sinewy-popeye arm and one regular arm. Like an extra 1/2" to their wrist.

I'm in between big jobs right now and the light-duty stuff I'm doing isn't helping my waistline :(

Posted On:
    7/25/2008 3:37pm

Style: TKD, MT, KEMPO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to be a waiter doing banquets, so we were on the go and it kept the gut slim, but as far as real endurance, no. What I mean is, it was more fatigue than stamina building. Plus, we would lift these real heavy trays and have to balance them on one side, so it fucked up my back. Now I were a suit and tie, and I don't miss it for the world. My dad was a longshoreman, and guys used to get fucking killed ( containers and glass fell on one guy) and he broke his back (he recovered after surgery), so **** manual labor.
    "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast