Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:46pm

Style: FS Karate, Boxing, MT,MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

manual labour as a main souce of training?

by this i mean shoveling, picking, sledge hammering, lifting, etc

the thing is, not so long back i got meself a full time labouring job, n i mean proper labour, not the lazy slack ass ****. due to the hours, i dont have much time for training any more, n even when do have the time, im normally to nackered to go any more. i still train at weekends, but it usually consists of sparring.

so, what im asking is, can the job replace the training and conditioning im missing out on?

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 4:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    short answer- no.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 4:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could it? Sure. Will it? I don't know, and I'd be surprised if anyone else did.

The simple answer is to put it to the test.

1) Come up with some quantitative training goals. It doesn't really matter what they are, so long as they track closely to your desires, can be expressed numerically, and you can test yourself on a regular basis.
    2) Test yourself to see where you're at.
    3) Work hard at your job for a while.
    4) Repeat steps #2 and #3 (test every week or so).

If you show progress, then your body is responding in the way you want to your work. If you don't, it isn't and you need to change things up. It's simple. Not easy, but simple.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 7/22/2008 4:27pm at .

STOP POSTING!

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it might replace the strength and conditioning, but it wont replace technique training. so if you are entering a strongman comp or something then yeah it might work.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 4:47pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, it won't give you anything sport-specific, unless your sport consists of beating people with shovels. (In which case I wish to subscribe to your newsletter, etc.)

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 8:17pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I do heavy manual labour. Since I became accustomed to it, I seem to have more energy than the other guys. Also the specific muscles that I use at work get way more strong than they would be (Grip and back) so that's nice and that's something I notice. I also run on the weekends. I haven't done weights in years,and I'mok with that.

So short answer: No
    Long answer: Maybe

It doesn't totally replace a thought out and guided exercise routine, but it will keep you in shape, depending how intense it is.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 11:33pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Manual labor is one of the best things you can do for yourself in terms of conditioning and strength provided you don't injure yourself. It will get your joints nice and solid, give you all-day-long cardio, keep the fat off, and give you good strength skills.

Combine your job with some solid technique training and you'd kick some serious ass.

Make sure you're eating right, by which I mean take in enough calories and vitamins. My dad used to eat a pound of beef on a whole loaf of french bread with half a stick of butter on it and he was shredded. He's 60 and can still hold his own against me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 12:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GOON is teh correct^ I've been a carpenter for 20-odd years, I know how to pace myself, I know how to lift from many different angles and I don't gas out.

Not to brag but one of Dan Gable's first recommendations to young wrestlers is to get a summer job as a laborer. He's F%^*}ing correct!

What you'll generally do for fitness is shorter sets, in a sequence and against dead weight. Very different from shovelling, carrying 2x12's up a hill, and beating up inspectors with a chainsaw!

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:07am

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could also tailor manual labor into a workout.

Sandbag lifting exercises provide a pretty good workout...now just let me find the article to support that claim....

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:22am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    GOON is teh correct^ I've been a carpenter for 20-odd years, I know how to pace myself, I know how to lift from many different angles and I don't gas out.

Not to brag but one of Dan Gable's first recommendations to young wrestlers is to get a summer job as a laborer. He's F%^*}ing correct!

What you'll generally do for fitness is shorter sets, in a sequence and against dead weight. Very different from shovelling, carrying 2x12's up a hill, and beating up inspectors with a chainsaw!
    I'm a 20 year+ carpenter too. Serge stole my post, verbatim.

Today, because I forgot my socket set, I had the pleasure of using a crescent wrench while screwing in eight inch lag bolts while hanging off a three story balcony. Abs and forearms in one workout!

To Serge: of course I pre-drilled, but it was a three-eights inch bit vs. half-inch lags. Gotta maintain my girlish figure somehow.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast