United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 12:52am

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSON
    Judo is to BJJ as Mike Tyson in to Mohamed Ali. Technically, the same system trained differently to produce completely different fighters.
    Damn, good analogy

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 9:41am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a good idea to shop around when it comes to Judo.

It's also important to walk into the class and tell the instructor the reason you're there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 11:59am

Style: ex-KF, now Judoka + BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi, I'm approaching this situation from the other side of being a judoka who's just started cross training in bjj. My judo school has always been at least 50/50 standing/ground, so I have some base in groundfighting. Training in both is really nice because they compliment eachother so well, and getting better at one will translate some to the other.
    Also, I don't give a **** about historical matters, bjj is much deeper than most judo ne waza, if only for the fact that it is pretty much all we do in that class. Same thing with judo stand up vs. that of bjj: judo has much more depth. Training both with an open mind and a checked ego is a good way to learn and get better all around in grappling. I can foresee a time in the future when most bjj/judo crosstrain as the norm rather than the exception. The exception in that case would be the pig headed purists who are blindly loyal to one or the other.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 12:02pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Note: I started off in Judo as well and still train it.

Some Judo schools are full of TMA fags and will quickly put a bad taste in your mouth. You need to find a competition oriented school or a crazy old russian teacher.

Posted On:
    7/30/2008 5:51am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by darph
    It's a good idea to shop around when it comes to Judo.

It's also important to walk into the class and tell the instructor the reason you're there.
    You, Sir, are a very Brave Man.

Braver than me. I wouldn't to it. At best I'd be very polite and ask permission to ask some courteous and reasonable questions.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/01/2008 10:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by darph
    Note: I started off in Judo as well and still train it.

Some Judo schools are full of TMA fags and will quickly put a bad taste in your mouth. You need to find a competition oriented school or a crazy old russian teacher.
    I've been to a judo club before. They must of thought I was a weirdo wearing a BJJ Gi. I learned some takedowns and had good fun, especially because I already had a friend attending.

Anyhow, there did happen to be some guy who studied Judo, and after seeing me grapple with my friend, after the lesson for kicks, he offered a randori.

At that time, I didn't know he did Sambo. I somehow get his back. The second he does this rolling knee-tap movement, I know I'm screwed. Then he gets me into a calf crunch thingy. Hurt like hell.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234