223864 Bullies, 3687 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's unusual to do absolutely no groundwork, but the randori rules weren't that unusual.

If you managed to take the guy's back standing then I'd suggest you learn a good ura-nage and tani-otoshi. Both are very simple throws that would work well from that position, and probably would've won you the match without resorting to groundwork.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 4:29pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd focus more on tani otoshi, it tends to make your teammates less pissed off at you.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 6:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    I'd focus more on tani otoshi, it tends to make your teammates less pissed off at you.
    quoted for truth.

In my opinion, do what Sensei tells you, and don't ask too many questions :p

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 7:26pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Standing chokes are also a viable option, though a standing RNC or collar choke will be really hard to pull off.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 7:31pm

Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    True, true.

However is it common for clubs to sharply divide standing and ground work? In my club we do either standing Randori or ground work. We have never started standing and continued to ground work. It seems like this would be a huge hole in your competition game.
    We usually do half an hour of newaza only for warmup/fitness with full curriculum of subs allowed (i.e. leg locks, etc for those who know them, comp rules for those who don't/are uncomfortable - decided in gentleman's agreement before each bout).

Following that we do tachiwaza randori, with wazari (half point) or ippon (full point) being end of bout, and Yuko (almost wazari) or koka (almost Yuko) resulting in newaza until osaekomi (pin) or (judo rules) submission. If there is stalling or inactivity on the ground for over five seconds, we get stood back up.

Generally, our classes consist of about five or six regulars, and the occassional blow in.

Occassionally we get people who (I'm sure you know the type) used to play judo regularly once upon a time, and have subsequently gotten older/fatter/unfit/etc, and come in for a session, go ridiculously hard, gas out and disappear, only to return a few months later and repeat the process.

The BJJ guys who come , coincidentally they tend to be blue belts about 80% of the time, generally enjoy themselves, learn a throw or two, have a roll, but rarely come back, usually due to time constraints and preferring to spend their limited available time training in their primary style rather than crosstraining, which I can understand. I have never seen bjj/judo rivalry at my club, rather common interest and respect for each other's strengths.

I'm trying to encourage a few of the better guys from the wrestling class (they use the same room on different days) to come to judo, to broaden the opponent pool, and because they are so hard to takedown.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 1:52am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    quoted for truth.

In my opinion, do what Sensei tells you, and don't ask too many questions :p
    That's the plan! I'm a canvas as far as learning new stuff goes.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 3:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Subparr
    During Randori, I was not thrown. I was however criticized a bit for being too defensive. I was constantly told to stand up straighter and keep my head up. The only takedowns I got were an outside reap and a double-leg. I felt newbish.
    A few tips from a Judoka who does BJJ to a BJJer who does Judo.

Always keep in mind that there is no winning or losing in randori. None. Even when you have tournament style stipulations. Eliminate the concept the best you can, it is very difficult, but try.

Getting thrown is the first step in understanding a throw. Deadly serious.

Be loose, you will not get anything out of being defensive, both your partner and yourself will not benefit from defensive play during normal randori (unless otherwise specified by your instructor).

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 7:00am

Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    A few tips from a Judoka who does BJJ to a BJJer who does Judo.

Always keep in mind that there is no winning or losing in randori. None. Even when you have tournament style stipulations. Eliminate the concept the best you can, it is very difficult, but try.

Be loose, you will not get anything out of being defensive, both your partner and yourself will not benefit from defensive play during normal randori (unless otherwise specified by your instructor).
    Good point, well done, Sir.

From a JJ perspective, I see this quite a bit. It's more a Confidence issue and you can tell they are somewhat anxious/fearful. I had to get a 3rd Kyu to punch me in the Head like he meant it in order for me to demo the technique I had been trying to teach the 6th Kyu.

Reading a past article in COMBAT mag (UK) from a Judoka Dan, (The Budokwai) he made a point that the Judo and BJJ classes are coming closer to swap techinques and improve their respective Standing and Groundwork techniques.

So, you're ahead of the game.

Good luck

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 7:05am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been ura-nage'd a few times in randori, it's not so bad as long as you tuck your chin.

I've also been kata-garuma'd in randori... by a BJJ guy. So stop your bitching!

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 7:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    QFT

I've found this to be true a lot...after i got WTFPWNed by armbars, triangles, etc, i really understood the techniques a lot more, and helped me pull them off better

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast