Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 1:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blue belt in BJJ going to his first Judo class

After being tossed on my head in a tournament, I decided to try out crosstraining Judo. Not that my current school isn't good at throws or defense, its more to just expand my horizons with new training partners and more techniques. Plus, Judo is CHEAP.

I'd like to hear from the Jiu-Jitsu players here who have crosstrained in Judo, be it good or bad experiences.

Here was my first experience:

There were 3 black belt instructors of varying degrees, who all had been doing judo for 20 years plus. They didn't teach any new techniques that night, but instead had people drill what they already knew (I was the only new student). They all walked around giving plenty of individual attention to each set of partners. It was really nice to tighten things up I had learned in Jiu-Jitsu but hadn't refined yet. I also had ample opportunity to practice my breakfalls as I was thrown at least 50 times. At no point in the class was anything done or practiced on the ground. I wore a white belt.

During Randori, I was not thrown. I was however criticized a bit for being too defensive. I was constantly told to stand up straighter and keep my head up. The only takedowns I got were an outside reap and a double-leg. I felt newbish.

One thing they did was pair people up to do a full judo match in front of the class. During my turn, they paired me with a Judo Brown belt. On my turn they said we were not allowed to go to the mat. I ended up taking his back standing with an armdrag, body locked him, and jumped into back mount with hooks. They stopped the match and had us restart because that was considered ground fighting. Honestly I kinda felt like they wanted to make a point having one of their better guys trounce the Jiu-Jitsu guy. The match ended up a draw.

Overall it was a very positive experience. I am going to train here once per week to help my standup Jiu-Jitsu game. They even invited me to join their team heading to a local tournament. I am really stoked to see how much better my Jiu-Jitsu gets from this in a year's time.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 1:33pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just try to remember that you are there to improve your takedowns. Riding someone monkey-style is generally not considered a takedown, even though it could be a valid combative tactic. Many Judo clubs will specify takedown-only randori. If no immediate/clean takedown occurs, they reset. Other times they may randori all the way through to throw ippon, pin ippon, or sub.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 2:03pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As tempting as it may be...do not take that leg lock. Resist.

I was forced to roll with the Sensei, all 260lbs, because my "Judo Rules Setting" was malfunctioning. It felt like my ribs were breaking.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 2:31pm

Style: BJJ/Pekiti Tersia/Hsing-I

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I went to the local (and only) judo club by me. For the most part we've just done balance drills and technique. Only 1 time was there anything close to resembling Rondori. The people there sadly weren't very athletic. Still I went for about 5 weeks hoping thigns would improve but sadly, even though I was told we were going to increase our focus on competition and sparring it never happened. Around the same time I injured my back so I haven't returned.

It kinda madkes me sad too because it was nice to have a free judo class less then a mile from my house.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 2:53pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started in BJJ as I transitioned from Wing Chun.

I moved to Judo due to the cost savings. I found Judo to mesh well with what BJJ I knew. Judo throws work as really nice transitions to ground work.

My only complaint is the complete lack of focus on subs and the unwillingness (at least among the lower belts) to fight to get out of a pin. Usually once I get mount, or a tight side control my opponent just taps and we reset. It frustrates me. Though when they do fight it they tend to leave themselves open for subs, esp. Kimuras and Americanas, due in a large part to the unfamiliarity with subs in Judo.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your experience seems quite common. In my own Judo adventures, I found that it was more a case of them wanting you to actually learn some Judo rather than falling back on stuff that you already know.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:02pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ironically all the subs I've managed to pull off in Randori are subs that exist in Judo.... most are even taught to white/yellow/orange belts. They just are not drilled to the point where a newer Judoka would expect to see them.

Also an aggressive guard game seems to befuddle most Judoka. Even higher level belts. I have noticed that reversals are easier against a Judoka as they don't post out with their hands as well.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Your experience seems quite common. In my own Judo adventures, I found that it was more a case of them wanting you to actually learn some Judo rather than falling back on stuff that you already know.
    True, true.

However is it common for clubs to sharply divide standing and ground work? In my club we do either standing Randori or ground work. We have never started standing and continued to ground work. It seems like this would be a huge hole in your competition game.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In any event, drilling throws even half as much as I did in that one class will skyrocket my takedown game I think. I'm really glad I decided to give it a shot.

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:17pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We would do both separately like you mentioned but would sometimes do full Randori with only Ippon's stopping the fighting.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast