Posted On:
    7/22/2008 9:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kali School

Hello,

I'm a "newbie" to this site, but look forward to gathering a lot of (and maybe sharing) info!

Currently, I live in Toledo, Ohio and have been trying to find a "Kali/Silat" school within a 30 mile radius with no luck! So if anyone knows of a school nearby my location PLEASE let me know!

Thanks!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 11:13am

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I don't know of any schools within your radius, I know Detroit has a Pekiti-Tirsia school. Isn't Toldedo like 60 miles from Detroit? Bit of commute, but if you want to train FMA it might be your only option. You may also want to contact schools in some of the bigger cities near by. They might be able to help you locate people closer to you.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:02pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Less of a "school" and more a training group, I think, although the Detroit Pitbulls are supposed to be relatively rough.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 2:08pm

Style: FMA / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I stand corrected. Don't really know anything about the group, just remember chatting with someone at some time who mentioned the Detroit Petiki group.

I was under the impression most Petiki groups trained pretty rough. One of the reasons I wish there was one near me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/26/2008 9:55am

Style: DBMA, FMA, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have access to a PTK pitbull training group then take advantage of it. I drive 90 miles (then 90 miles back) every Sunday to train with a PTK group, so it can be done.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/29/2008 11:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA/Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't know if they're still training there, but some of the guys at USA Martial Arts in Holland, OH may or may not still be doing a bit of Kali. If nothing else, their jujitsu program was superb. Also, look up Chris Malgheri (Malgeri?). JKD Concepts in Madison Heights, MI. Info is 5 years old, so caveat emptor.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 12:43am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I discovered a Kali school (Attributive Martial Arts) in Canton Michigan, its about 30 miles one way from me. Anyone famiiar with this place?

www.attributivemartialarts.com

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/02/2008 12:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA/Muay Thai/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I worked a bit with Chris (dave's top student) years ago and he seemed like he knew his way around a stick. Look em up. Just make sure when you check out a class that they stress footwork and that you will have the oppurtunity to spar at some point.

It's hard to **** up a kali school just yet, but there are still warning signs to look for.

Good to know about this school, I'll have to look it up when I go home to Monroe.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/04/2008 2:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know Dave Hatch personally, but he is an instructor under Guro Dan and I've seen him at seminars before. He's pretty skilled and has been teaching for awhile. He's also produced good students like Chris Maligheri (sp?) so I'm pretty sure he is a good teacher.

He has trained a lot with Guro Dan so you will probably do a lot of the Lacoste-Inosanto system. He is also a private student under Ted Buot in Balintawak and is very skilled in that system. I think his group has some Pekiti and Lameco influence as well. So he's had good instructors.

I would go up and check out the classes and see what you think. I'd ask him about the Balintawak training because he's had personal training from a high level instructor in Ted Buot. Buot was trained by the founder of Balintawak during the early days of the club and I think he may have had some no gear stick matches back in the 50's or 60's. I know a lot of the early Balintawak guys fought no gear stick matches so it should be pretty solid stuff. I've liked the little bit of the system I've seen. Good luck

Featherweight

Posted On:
    10/11/2008 10:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujitsu, silat, kali, jkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually there is quite a few silat and escrima schools in Ohio. There is a very high level Bukti Negara and Serak teacher living and teaching there. In Colunbus there is a Filipino grandmaster teaching his family style of Kali, and he is also a friend of Leo Gaje's. I think he also knows Pikit Tersia. There are a number of southeast aasian martial arts schools in Ohio, and other systems as well. Search the net. If you go to Pak Victor DeThaurs web site, ask him how to contact the guy in Ohio about Pentjak silat Serak. Also, there is Indonesian Kuntao schools in Ohio.