Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:30pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

My letter to ESPN

I Just saw the Piece on Kids MMA . I had no knowledge of this story at all. You used allot of footage from our Amateur Pankration League Tournaments. The crazy thing is I recently e-mailed ESPN and invited you to cover an event. I received a "Thanks but No Thanks Response". In hindsight it was a Good thing I was blown off! To do a story like this and use edited versions of our videos without even letting us know is wrong. We are not hard to find www.fightleague.org .

Much of the competition footage was from Kids Pankration Tournaments, not Kids MMA. This sport is well established and has been around since 2001. We have a National Governing body (USAFPA, web site www.teamusapankration.com ) and are an Official Form of International Wrestling under FILA, www.fila-wrestling.com.

Our league rules are very strict: www.fightleague.org/Rules.html
    We go above and beyond to make this SAFE for both Adults and Kids.
    In short:
    -No Strikes to the head
    -No Slams when executing a takedown. Cannot drop on head or use unnecessary roughness with takedown.
    -No heel hooks or dynamic neck cranks. These moves can injury and are hard to control.
    -All submission holds are to be executed with applied pressure. We make it clear that if you hurt your opponent before he/she has a chance to submit you get disqualified. We stop kidís matches short of submission, thatís why some of them were crying in the videos you presented.
    - We have a Certified Athletic Trainer is present during all events.
    - We use 2 referees during every match. One must be a Chief referee. To be a Chief Referee they must be at least 21 years old and have a Min. of 10 years of Martial Arts experience. They must have refereed over prior 200 matches and be trained in First Aid and CPR.

We put on tournaments for the US Military as well. An independent Athletic Trainer based out of Camp Pendleton evaluated Amateur Pankration under our rules and events and deemed it SAFER than FOOTBALL.

Obviously the producer surfed Youtube and edited our 50 plus videos down to 30 seconds of what appeared to be the ugliest parts.
    SEE FOR YOURSELF: http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...deo_avg_rating

Since 2002 we have NEVER had a kid seriously injured. For the last couple of years we have kept an injury log of all injuries treated by the Athletic Trainer. We provided all this information to Andrea Canning of 20/20 when they did their piece on Kids MMA. Looks like they gave you some footage as well? I can give you the contact info for our Trainer if you would like to ask about the injury rate.

As for the kids, This SPORT ABOVE ALL OTHERS TEACHES EMPATHY. Competitors are responsible for their opponentís safety. To do this in a combative sports setting is the best lesson on strength and responsibility,

I have watched many of these Kids, to include my own, grow in this sport since 2002. Most are still involved and doing great, especially socially. They are Good Kids with good Grades, very respectful and hard working. Much more so than the average American Kid. Here is a link to our results for all our events (except our 1st tournament): http://www.fightleague.org/Results.html . If you would like to contact some of them let me know.

Please respond back,
    J. Frank
    Amateur Pankration League
    E-mail jfrank128@cox.net

Bullshido Wikipedia Delegate

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:32pm

supporting memberhall of fameBullshido Newbie
     Style: Krav / (Kick)Boxing / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that's pretty bogus if it went down as you say.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:36pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    mother f*****

Keep getting the word out
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:46pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Responsible journalism went out the window a long time ago.

Sensationalism = Ratings

Ratings = Money

News outlets rarely care about presenting an accurate picture, just one that can lure in viewers.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 11:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My only questions is:

Is there pankration tournaments in michigan/will there be soon?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

is badder than you

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 1:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Make sure your e-mail gets to their ombudsman (this link should work - if not, click around their website) - if anyone acts on it, she will. Also, try to be specific about which show it was, when the footage was aired, who you are, etc.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 3:08am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    hehe, I don't think I have any problem with kids training in any sport, including pankration or mma, but if you are writing a formal letter you should really do a grammar and spelling proof read to be taken seriously... just one of many examples: "These moves can injury and are hard to control."

also...

"Much of the competition footage was from Kids Pankration Tournaments, not Kids MMA. This sport is well established and has been around since 2001."

what? because mma is not established or hasn't been around since 2001? thanks for the mutual respect, seriously.

and "that’s why some of them were crying in the videos you presented." is no way to sell your point... these people who they are appealing to don't want to see children crying due to aggressive sports, it is why moms hate watching their children compete in any sport... might have been better off avoiding mention of children crying.

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 8:15am

Style: Mixed-Up Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If most of video was from Pankration tournaments then the kids where breaking the rules. I saw a lot of head striking and hard body slams....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 11:08am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MMAGreg
    hehe, I don't think I have any problem with kids training in any sport, including pankration or mma, but if you are writing a formal letter you should really do a grammar and spelling proof read to be taken seriously... just one of many examples: "These moves can injury and are hard to control."

also...

"Much of the competition footage was from Kids Pankration Tournaments, not Kids MMA. This sport is well established and has been around since 2001."

what? because mma is not established or hasn't been around since 2001? thanks for the mutual respect, seriously.

and "thatís why some of them were crying in the videos you presented." is no way to sell your point... these people who they are appealing to don't want to see children crying due to aggressive sports, it is why moms hate watching their children compete in any sport... might have been better off avoiding mention of children crying.
    LOL I Know!!

Before I send the hard copy I will have one of my kids, who according to ESPN should be Psycos by now, do a re-write, they have very good grades in English even know they have been fighting since 2002.