Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/21/2008 9:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Heavy bags - recommendations & sectioned ones?

The heavy bag at my dojo gets heavy and hard at the bottom. Is this a symptom of a bad bag? Is it normal? Can you recommend a brand that doesn't do this? And please don't say "just unhook it and turn it upside down for a while", because I tried that for 6 months, every 2 weeks, it was worthless.

My kohai mentioned that he had seen a sectioned heavy bag in Japan--ie, every foot of the bag was a separate compartment, so that the filling couldn't settle. Rather, if it settled, it didn't settle problematically or much. If you're having trouble envisioning it, just think of the Titanic.

Title's catalog doesn't have a sectioned bag....anybody know where I can find one of these amazing contraptions? Google also failed me.

Help! <<turns on Bullshido-signal into the skies>>

(If "Search function n00b!!" is called for, a thousand apologies. I tried. I tried so hard, but I couldn't find anything.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/22/2008 12:55am

Style: JKD BJJ JUDO MUY THAI

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The filling makes them hard as the sand settles

http://www.sportsauthority.com/sm-ev...i-2226199.html

we have these water filled bags that stay soft all the time.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 7:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked at those, and wrote them off as lame. Am I wrong? They seemed like a gimmick. Who has used them? Pros/cons?

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:26am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just don't get an everlast heavy bag, mine fell apart after two weeks of heavy use and it was BITCH to take it back. Pretty much same **** that happened with my everlast shinpads, told my instructor and he laughed and said 'will teach you for trying to be a trendy bastard'.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:32am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Just don't get an everlast heavy bag, mine fell apart after two weeks of heavy use and it was BITCH to take it back. Pretty much same **** that happened with my everlast shinpads, told my instructor and he laughed and said 'will teach you for trying to be a trendy bastard'.
    the "N" at the beginning of everlast is both silent and invisible, but it is still there, trust me.

i always wondered if they have a "pro" line that isn't carried by sporting goods stores, since it seems to me that a pro boxer would destroy any of their gear in one training session, yet you still see everlast gear in pro gyms sometimes.

as for the bag settling, that's life, it happens to all bags regardless of quality. if flipping the bag doesn't help, you can try flipping it and then beating the hard spots with a baseball bat/rattan stick/cricket bat to make them break up. otherwise just get used to using the bottom of the bag to condition your shins.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 9:41am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is gravity. I have experienced one or two decent water bags but there are other problems with these type bags. For one, when the material in the bag really does not experience any settlement, differences based on distrubution and specific weight..... well lets just say that it is more like hitting a tire than a person.

I agree with the guy who said that you can use these imperfections. The bottom of the bag for shin kicks, the top of the bag for finger strikes if you like, etc. Settlement is not a bad thing all in all.

Is Everlast that bad? I have a pair of their gloves that I bought specifically cause they were made in the USA and I thought they would last longer.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 10:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kenkojuku Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything Everlast makes sucks ****. It didn't used to be that way, but the company was bought out and the quality went downhill.

I don't think their bags are THAT bad though, but I would never buy one new. You can ALWAYS find 70 lbs Everlast bags on Craigs list for $50 or less, and at that price it doesn't need to last forever.

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 11:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by maofas
    Everything Everlast makes sucks ****. It didn't used to be that way, but the company was bought out and the quality went downhill.

I don't think their bags are THAT bad though, but I would never buy one new. You can ALWAYS find 70 lbs Everlast bags on Craigs list for $50 or less, and at that price it doesn't need to last forever.
    ah ha! So they were bought out. That would explain it. Cut a few corners, save a few bucks and whore the good name of the product. Thats a shame.

Anyone know of some good brands to stand by?

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 12:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387
    Anyone know of some good brands to stand by?
    ringside, combat sports, windy and twins.

but windy/twins bags are going to cost you and arm & a leg in the US, so going with ringside/cs would be the best choice.

they are actually the same company, with lots of identical gear branded for either brand, but ringside has more variety in bags than cs.

www.ringside.com
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/23/2008 12:30pm

Style: Yoshukai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got outvoted at my gym and we replaced one of our bags with that big ass CSI water-filled thai bag. While it doesn't settle, it does have a "squishy" feel due to the foam liner. It has held up very well with no problems except that we do get a little evaporation and have to top it off periodically.

I wanted the Fairtex bag. I went out of town to try one out and loved it. The price was a big reason for everyone else wanting to go with the CSI bag as it was on sale for about half-price at the time.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast